VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couldn't see waiting for the manufacture 10K oil change, so I've done my first oil change at 5,000 miles.
I used the VW require oil, filter element, and new drain plug.
Question, why are you required to replace the drain plug ? The crush washer falls off of the drain plug when removed, couldn't you just replace the cush washer ? I don't see the drain plug "wearing out".

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
Check with your local vw dealer's parts dept; you should be able to get a new washer from them or a universal type washer for a typical auto parts store. While, it is correct procedure to replace the washer; every oil change, you would probably be fine for a number of oil changes... before getting a new one.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
x2

I went 5-6 years and 150k miles with the same washer and oil plug with no drips at all in the driveway. The key is to not over tight, find the torque value for your car and use the torque wrench accordingly.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Couldn't see waiting for the manufacture 10K oil change, so I've done my first oil change at 5,000 miles.
I used the VW require oil, filter element, and new drain plug.
Question, why are you required to replace the drain plug ? The crush washer falls off of the drain plug when removed, couldn't you just replace the cush washer ? I don't see the drain plug "wearing out".
Just get one of these and never worry about the drain plug again. http://www.qwikvalve.com/fumoto-f106s-valve.html

1 - 4 of 4 Posts