NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm noticing about 1/2 qt used every 1500 miles. Has 95K on it. Don't think there are any leaks but have to get under it this weekend to check. No smoke either. Using the Auto Zone cheapo house brand oil 5W-30.

Normal? Any suggestions?

Thank you

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I've read of way worse, like a qt in 1k miles, from the day new. Seems there may be ring problem
http://newbeetle.org/forums/2-0-liter-gas/52190-oil-burning-blowby.html

Why would you be using el cheapo 5w30 oil. Doesn't meet spec. 5w40 conventional, and 5w40 or 0w40 syn even better, especially at high mileage. Your investment doesn't rate another $7.50 every 10k miles? That's less than a tenth of a cent / mile. About the cost of 2 gallons of gas. $75.00 for 100k miles. Or even an additional $10 between changes if your consumption is what it is.

Never understood this corner.

M.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,918 Posts
I'd start using a good brand that meets VW spec myself. And yes, 1/2 qt every 1500 miles is not out of the question. VW released a TSB on the AEG 2.0L engines (which you should have in your 2000) that stated that 1qt/1k was within normal limits.

·
75 year old car nut
93 Posts
I'd start using a good brand that meets VW spec myself. And yes, 1/2 qt every 1500 miles is not out of the question. VW released a TSB on the AEG 2.0L engines (which you should have in your 2000) that stated that 1qt/1k was within normal limits.
The only reason they sent out the TSB was because they Knew of the ring problem with the AEG engines. That's my take on the problem! 1999 NB, 1 Qt per 1000 miles from new.:mad:
Earl

·
5/23/10 <3
10,918 Posts
Not all had an issue. My '99 never drank oil. I rarely topped up between changes. I have heard of the ring issue, but there has been no solid confirmation about it. At least, not about the rumor that rings were installed upside down. Could have been poor rings that didn't seat well or something though I guess.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Could have been a multitude of things, bad batch of rings, bad batch of castings, combination of dimensional tolerances, rings to the small diameter side, cylinder wall diameter to the high tolerance side, etc. The upside down thing a little far fetched, but not impossible I guess, but me thinks more urban legend.

Regardless of the cause, easier, and millions of dollars cheaper just to poo poo it off with "1k/1000mi okay acceptable", even if it REALLY pissed a few people off. Me, the car would have been gone! Maybe driven through the showroom window, gone!

M.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I Have 113,000 + miles on mine . Doesn't use any oil to speak of. I have the dealership change my oil, and now they have just started to offer BG MOA if you want. I say OK to that.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm noticing about 1/2 qt used every 1500 miles. Has 95K on it. Don't think there are any leaks but have to get under it this weekend to check. No smoke either. Using the Auto Zone cheapo house brand oil 5W-30.

Normal? Any suggestions?

Thank you
Ok, giving 4.4 qts of Castrol EDGE with SPT, Specially formulated to meet the needs of BMW, Mercedes-Benz, and Volkswagen, SAE 5W-40 a try and see if it impacts oil consumption and/or gas mileage any. Defintely not cheap at $8.79/qt at AutoZone! Don't think I ever see this oil on the weekend 5 qts oil & filter special for $21.99 anytiime soon.

Is the upside I can longer between oil changes with the synthetic like 5,000 miles instead of 3,000 miles?

Thanks

·
Registered
119 Posts
3000 mi oil changes is old school thinking. I change every 5000. even the non synthetics are formulated for higher miles. If Click and Clack sezz it , It's got to be true:)

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
3000 mi oil changes is old school thinking. I change every 5000. even the non synthetics are formulated for higher miles. If Click and Clack sezz it , It's got to be true:)
No, not old skool thinking, old skool oil! :p

Ok, giving 4.4 qts of Castrol EDGE with SPT, Specially formulated to meet the needs of BMW, Mercedes-Benz, and Volkswagen, SAE 5W-40 a try and see if it impacts oil consumption and/or gas mileage any. Defintely not cheap at $8.79/qt at AutoZone! Don't think I ever see this oil on the weekend 5 qts oil & filter special for $21.99 anytiime soon.

Is the upside I can longer between oil changes with the synthetic like 5,000 miles instead of 3,000 miles?

Thanks
Without looking, that sounds like the new EDGE Titanium, but don't remember it being nearly that high at Wally World (going there today, I'll have a look). Dealers typically use Castrol Edge Full Syn 5w40, I'm changing to Mobile 1, 0w40, it's VW certified and the only true Class 1 synthetic, also going to go to Mobil 1 Filter [do a little research on the Mobil 1 filter material v. others and you'll see why - I researched filters, specifically looking at the larger Passat ppl are using (found the reason NOT to use that one), and learned quite a bit, are all filters created equal? NOT!)

As to oil change intervals, by the book, 10k miles (or 10 months) under normal driving conditions, and I'm perfectly good with that.(2.0, not 1.8 or 1.9), again lots of research, not just because VW says so.

Btw, '05 2.0L, Castrol Full Syn 5w40, 50k on the clock, 9500 miles, down 1qt.

M.

·
Registered
406 Posts
i have the same issue use 5/40 syn or 0/40syn i m using Mobil one and now i change it every 3000 and im good and haven't had to add much anymore however in the beginning i was doing 5/40 syn with syn Lucas additive and it worked great, and i still drive it like it was stolen that bug moves for a 2.slo quarter mile i was 35.01 seconds i beat 1988 Yugo blew right passed,em :cool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts