NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Newbie here. Just purchased a 2002 GLS. I noticed the oil was changed 1500 miles ago and when I checked the oil it was down almost 1.5 quarts (1 qt per 1000 miles) Does the 2.0 have oil consumption problems that I should be aware of? The oil was changed at the dealership every time by the previous owner. I have about 3,000 miles of warranty left and would like to here what you guys think before my warranty expires.

Thanks

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
Skoobahead said:
Hello,

Newbie here. Just purchased a 2002 GLS. I noticed the oil was changed 1500 miles ago and when I checked the oil it was down almost 1.5 quarts (1 qt per 1000 miles) Does the 2.0 have oil consumption problems that I should be aware of?
The '98-'00 had a lot of 2.0L motors with oil consumption issues which were caused by sloppy piston rings. Beantownbug was finally able to get his dealership to replace the rings under warranty after going through an oil consumption test with the dealership (which sounded to be a long drawn out process).

I haven't heard of this problem on a 2002, but I guess anything is possible. If you're going to try and get it covered under warranty, I would get the dealership working on the oil consumption test immediately b/c it will take a while to "prove" to them it is using oil and then they'll have to get VWoA to approve the repair.

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
slugbug123 said:
my 98 was doing the same thing but i just started using thicker oil and i havent had a problem.
Speaking of thicker oil, I run 10W-40 Castrol GTX and have no oil usage. What weight are you running?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey slugbug,

How much oil were you using?
What type of oil were you used when it was consuming?
What type of oil do you use now that has helped?

Thanks!

·
Registered
98 Posts
i'm not sure how much oil i was using because we just check the dipstick to see when it has enough. i was using 10w-30 i believe. Not exactly sure what i am using now, but i would just try anything that is thicker and see how it goes

·
Registered
46 Posts
I only recently had the same problem on my 2001 1.8t. Checked the dipstick to see I was short almost 2 quarts. There is no leak, since there no visible signs/smells etc. Is thi something that can be fixed?

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
I have a 2002 2.0 and he burns oil. It's not just you. I started running 10w30 Mobil-1 SuperSynth and so far (i'll check before I leave work and report back) my burning has stopped. I noticed that he burned less with a synthetic oil, but still would burn .25 (1pint) of oil per 1000 miles with 5w30 synth. I, for some reason, couldn't locate a big bottle of 10w40 for the last change, so I did the 30.. so far.. he's still smack dab full, with 2k on the clock since change!

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 2.0 does the same thing Skooba.... I check the oil about once a month and by about the 6th week I'm usually down almost 2 quarts. If I forget to check it, the tattle tale ping on acceleration reminds me I'm low. This engine had 150,000 kms on it, not sure what that is in miles.... think it's a little more than half.. so 80k maybe? No leaks so I'm guessing it must be burning it, although I've never noticed blue smoke so it's hard to say.

Quick note on using thicker oil though... if you're in colder climates, I'd opt against it.

bent

·
Registered
33 Posts
My experience was quite different. I thought my car was running well (even though its oil consumption was within VW specs). A few weeks ago while driving home, my car felt like it was going to stall and my check engine light started to flash. I proceeded to continue home (only a few kms). Upon arrival I noticed a pungent burning smell, and the engine was convulsing back and forth in the enine bay!! Long story short, the dealer informed me that my they had to rebuild my engine including pistons and piston rings and many other parts (to the tune of $3000+ incl. labor). All of this was covered under warranty. My car has approx 117000 kms and was running fine just minutes prior to this happening.

I must say though when I got my car back, I noticed a huge increase in power!!

·
Registered
172 Posts
beetleguy said:
My experience was quite different. I thought my car was running well (even though its oil consumption was within VW specs). A few weeks ago while driving home, my car felt like it was going to stall and my check engine light started to flash. I proceeded to continue home (only a few kms). Upon arrival I noticed a pungent burning smell, and the engine was convulsing back and forth in the enine bay!! Long story short, the dealer informed me that my they had to rebuild my engine including pistons and piston rings and many other parts (to the tune of $3000+ incl. labor). All of this was covered under warranty. My car has approx 117000 kms and was running fine just minutes prior to this happening.

I must say though when I got my car back, I noticed a huge increase in power!!
OMG! Do you know the reason?
If this happen, I can't afford such $$$$ and by the way what is your VW Dealer?

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
gilligan said:
A motor that uses oil excessively and is not leaking it, could be the results of several factors 1. oil could get past the rings 2. oil could be sucked into the motor through some sort of faulty crankcase ventilation system 3. somehow the oil that is feeding the head is leaking into the cylinders through the head gasket or 4. and most likely they used the same type of crappy valve seals that every other car maker has done. rubber does not stand up to high heat very well and in the older days it was common to remove your tappet covers and find most of the old hard valve seals in the oil drainback holes in the head. This resulted in the same problems most of you are talking about. for one thing without the valve seals in place or working properly the engine will draw oil in through the valve guides quite efficiently and to compound the problem when the old seal parts plugged or reduced the oil flow back down to the crankcase the head would fill up with oil. the faster you engine is running the more oil is being pumped to the head but the restricted flow back down remains the same allowing the valve guides to become covered with oil and the motor then can drink the oil like you do nestle quick. Not to mention as the motor burns the excessive oil it would tend to cause the map sensor to fail more often because of the extra oily exhaust going past it.Think about it logically even if a piston ring has an excessive gap there are three rings it has to get passed with their gaps at different locations on the piston the oil that could squeek by that tiny area would be minimal and you guys are talking about a very excessive oil consumption problem.... and that is my huge opinion.
The thing about hardened valve seals is this usually causes a big puff of smoke when you first start the car - and believe me I know of which I speak, I'm a Chevy small block guy too :)

The most likely explanation for a Beetle using oil is its getting past the rings - this is a common problem on our cars and has been solved for a couple of people by replacing the rings. In all cases I've heard of, the car has always used lots of oil - as opposed to it developing gradually over time.

·
R.I.P 12/21/2006 - 65 Years Young.
307 Posts
My 2001 NB 2.0 was experiencing excess oil consumtion. After undergoing consumption testing, the piston rings were replaced under warranty. The problem appears to have been solved.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Me too!!

My 98 is also using around 2 qts. every 3000 miles. I had it at the dealer this week, and they changed my oil pan. But thats probably not my problem. I live in a very cold environment (Northwestern North Carolina - snow coming tonight) so I am a little hesistant to go with thicker oil. I use Castrol 10W-30. I had the dealership change it this week, so we will see if the pan made any difference. But, after having it at the VW shop Wednesday, my check engine light came on last night.....UGH!!!! Oh well. Question...the dealership is a long ways (150 miles) from me. Our neighborhood mechanic has a Vag-Com (Is that how you say it) but he says he doesn't think he has what he needs for the beetle. Any suggestions?

·
<-----No More Beetle :(
18,311 Posts
My 2002 is consuming oil like mad! :mad: I didnt realize there was something the dealership could do about it. Guess its time to make an appointment.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
AmyWalker said:
My 98 is also using around 2 qts. every 3000 miles. I had it at the dealer this week, and they changed my oil pan. But thats probably not my problem. I live in a very cold environment (Northwestern North Carolina - snow coming tonight) so I am a little hesistant to go with thicker oil. I use Castrol 10W-30. I had the dealership change it this week, so we will see if the pan made any difference. But, after having it at the VW shop Wednesday, my check engine light came on last night.....UGH!!!! Oh well. Question...the dealership is a long ways (150 miles) from me. Our neighborhood mechanic has a Vag-Com (Is that how you say it) but he says he doesn't think he has what he needs for the beetle. Any suggestions?
Amy...I live in PA...way north of you..and I use OW-40 year round.

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
AmyWalker said:
I suggest you get your own VAG-COM (www.ross-tech.com) :)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts