NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be replacing this tomorrow on my bug. First I am stopping by the pick and pull to grab another 27mm nut to act as a jamb nut to get the tube out. My question is, do I need a deep well 27mm socket or will a standard one work.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Go deep! I'm pretty sure you will need it. Hopefully you can buy a single socket. Sometimes they run about 20 or 30 bucks each when you get up in that size range. 27 is a common number though,I use mine all the time. :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I didn't remove the tube when I changed my gasket. I did have to drain the coolant, though, because the cooling hoses are just not quite long enough to allow you to slip the cooler off the tube with them attached.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I used a standard depth 1-1/16 socket to do mine. The gasket isn't quite like one from an oil filter. It is more like an oversize o-ring. It looks like the oil filter gasket after a few years, though.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok so I went ahead and picked up a deep well 27mm. I believe I would have been fine to use the standard 27 I had in my craftsman set. I picked up a gasket from the dealer, got my extra jamb nut , and also picked up an alternator from the yard. Hopefully I"ll get it repaired tomorrow.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just did this yesterday, after the oRing came in at Advanced Auto. Got a deep 27mm socket at Lowes, didn't want to have to make a return trip if a short socket wasn't deep enough!

I was able to get the cooler unit off and back on without removing the pipe, but it wasn't overly easy. ViceGrips were AWOL from my toolbox...

Advance Auto had 2 different parts for Oil Cooler Gasket/Oring. One looked like the seal from an oil filter (square edges along ring), the other was an Oring with two little tabs on the inside of the ring. I went with the Oring since it looked more like the old ring except for the tabs. (surely I won't regret this, he tries to reassure himself)

Now, on to the NEXT minor outpatient surgery for my NB :D

·
Registered
66 Posts
I went the other way and bought the o-ring with the little ears , mine is not leaking yet but is 13 years old , can only be a matter of time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts