NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 VW New Beetle - GLS - 2.0L - 5 speed

I cracked my orange, plastic, oil dip stick tube over the weekend.

How do I get the old one out and put the new one in? Is it just a press fit? Does it unscrew out? Other way?

Thank you,
George

·
Registered
13 Posts
my tube fell to pieces when i removed that plastic cover to replace the coolant sensor O-ring. went to parts shop and got a new one.
i used a pair if slip-joint pier near the thick part of the tube near the bottom, it just snaps into place, so it comes off pretty easy no need to get ruff with it. the new one has a notch that goes to the top, and alignment of the new one is a breeze.

hope this helps, :cool:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my tube fell to pieces when i removed that plastic cover to replace the coolant sensor O-ring. went to parts shop and got a new one.
i used a pair if slip-joint pier near the thick part of the tube near the bottom, it just snaps into place, so it comes off pretty easy no need to get ruff with it. the new one has a notch that goes to the top, and alignment of the new one is a breeze.

hope this helps, :cool:
Is there a metal tube at all? Or, is the whole assembly (funnel at top and tube down to the engine block) orange plastic?

Thank you,
George

·
Registered
13 Posts
when u go down the pipe it turns to metal, the plastic just pulls off the metal, and the new one just snaps into place

:cool:

go and buy the new one and you will see how it goes, part cost less then ten bucks, mine cost 4.50 they go often lol

·
Registered
82 Posts
The part in the metal tube wouldnt let go and some pieces broke off inside. I was able to suck them right out with a shop vac. Why they cant use metal is beyond me.:mad:

·
Registered
444 Posts
Is this the part that's listed on the Gruvenparts.com website that is listed for replacing the plastic dipstick tube on the MK2 and MK3 for $27.99?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2000 VW New Beetle - GLS - 2.0L - 5 speed

I cracked my orange, plastic, oil dip stick tube over the weekend.

How do I get the old one out and put the new one in? Is it just a press fit? Does it unscrew out? Other way?

Thank you,
George
Yep, pull out the old orange, plastic tube (from the base of it nearer the engin block) and press fit the new orange plastic tube (tube costs about $12 at VW Dealer). The clamp thing at tht top of the motor seats/aligns its perfectly. It appears these tubes get very brittle from the engine heat! They basically crumble apart in your hand. Thanks for help - Geo.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Can't Get it Out!

The old one was already broken down to the last inch and I ended up just sticking the new one on top since I couldn't get the whole thing out with pliers. Any suggestions?

That shop vac idea sounds good but the small pieces that went in there won't do any damage to a metal engine.

·
Registered
512 Posts
The old one was already broken down to the last inch and I ended up just sticking the new one on top since I couldn't get the whole thing out with pliers. Any suggestions?

That shop vac idea sounds good but the small pieces that went in there won't do any damage to a metal engine.
I think if they already fell into the oil pan then the only option is to take off the pan and clean.

It is possible that it causes some damage to your engine indirectly but it's not likely to happen. There's an oil pickup tube with a metal net and large particles will be blocked by it. Then smaller articles will be trapped in the oil filter and won't enter engine. The only way it can damage your engine is that if it blocks the pickup tube then the pump won't be able to get any oil....Is it gonna happen??hahaha:p

·
Registered
512 Posts
The part in the metal tube wouldnt let go and some pieces broke off inside. I was able to suck them right out with a shop vac. Why they cant use metal is beyond me.:mad:

Tell you my feelings. German engineers made this design just want them to fail after some time and they can earn money from your repair. There are a lot of parts they designed like this and they are working great for them. For example the timing belt, plastic water pump propeller, crappy engine speed sensor, crappy ignition coil, etc.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Oil Change

I was feeling rich so I decided to let someone else change my oil. Then I was reminded of the broken dipstick tube. They weren't going to just throw it in and started quoting labor prices. Then when I mentioned that I wanted synthetic oil and the price on that was quoted I decided to leave.

Now I will work on getting the broken tube out while the engine is cool.

Wish me luck. :p

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
I was feeling rich so I decided to let someone else change my oil. Then I was reminded of the broken dipstick tube. They weren't going to just throw it in and started quoting labor prices. Then when I mentioned that I wanted synthetic oil and the price on that was quoted I decided to leave.

Now I will work on getting the broken tube out while the engine is cool.

Wish me luck. :p
Nothing to it. Just use a pair of long nose pliers and pull that sucker out. Be careful not to get plastic pieces into your oil pan. Then just push the new tube into place. Lubing it a bit may help with getting it in place.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts