NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 NB with a persistent mild oil drip. Does anyone have experience or advice about engine leak products (eg. Risolone)?

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Where is the drip coming from and how fast are you losing it?

I have a small drip coming from the bottom where the engine and transmission join that happens while the car is parked. I believe it is a rear main oil seal that is getting weak. I figure when the clutch goes I'll have that replaced as well. I wouldn't add anything to the oil, just check the oil often enough that it won't get too low.

I have noticed that keeping the crankcase ventilation hose clear will reduce the rate of the leak significantly. During the winter the hose will plug up with a yellow goo. You can check for it by removing the oil cap. If you see any under the oil cap, chances are the hose is plugged. It is easy to cleat the hose. Here are my instructions on how to do it:

http://newbeetle.org/forums/2-0-liter-gas/59278-yellow-goo-what-do.html

I find in the winter I need to do this every couple weeks. In the summer it stays clear.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Truthfully, I have not spent any time looking for the drip. I am assuming it is from the engine and may be a gasket. It is true a good exam of the problem would yield a better answer, but I wanted to know if anyone had experience with the products from Rislone.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I'm guessing that's a kind of "stop leak" product. If so, I would never put that in a car I wanted to keep. Look for where the oil leak is coming from. It could be a simple seal you can replace, or it might be the oil cooler or some other part gone bad.

·
Registered
46 Posts
If you see a small bit of oil on your oil filter and all over your oil pan. Probably dripping from oil cooler and spraying everywhere while driving. Just did mine and it fixed those problems. The oil was also puddling in the grooves on the top of the oil pan.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you see a small bit of oil on your oil filter and all over your oil pan. Probably dripping from oil cooler and spraying everywhere while driving. Just did mine and it fixed those problems. The oil was also puddling in the grooves on the top of the oil pan.
Thanks for the reply. I think this is the problem. You have described the appearance of the drip perfectly. So, I will take everyone's advice.... fix the leak; don't fill the leak.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts