VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering if they sell any type of adapter that can be installed on a 2010 VW Beetle with the 2.5L engine that can get me away from using the paper filter that comes stock.

seems like it would be MUCH easier to use a typical american style oil filter (I.E. AC Delco PF52)

does such a thing exist?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah - i know how to change the oil. just would be convenient to have a normal oil filter. a metal one.

but, thank you for the link

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,869 Posts

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
If you look at the ECS TUNING video; all it does, is drain the oil filter housing. It does not; drain the crankcase oil, so you still need to remove the drain plug and drain the rest of the engine. It does, make replacing the oil filter; less messy, however.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I am not a fan of oil vacuum systems, but for the cars with the oil filter under the hood like most BMW's and some of the Ford Diesels you do not need to get under the car.

But when the oil filter needs to be accessed from under the car anyway, might as well pull the drain plug.

Just get a set of Rhino Ramps and keep some old cardbard for sliding under the car easily.

·
μολὼν λαβ
213 Posts
just wondering if they sell any type of adapter that can be installed on a 2010 VW Beetle with the 2.5L engine that can get me away from using the paper filter that comes stock.

seems like it would be MUCH easier to use a typical american style oil filter (I.E. AC Delco PF52)

does such a thing exist?
I don't think anyone makes an adapter like you're after. A lot of manufacturers are going back to the paper inserts in the newer cars.

Actually, when you get used to it, and get the proper tools, the whole oil change procedure is a lot quicker and cleaner. I use the tool mentioned earlier for the filter housing and have replaced the drain plug on the pan with a Fumoto valve. When you have a vinyl tube attached to each of these tools, not even a drop of oil is spilled, and you don't need a drain pan, since you can drain directly to a bottle.

Same system for my Toyota Tundra.

Attachments

·
Everett Street in May
3,212 Posts
Interesting idea, just not sure if there would be a benefit to this or not. Most of the newer Chrysler/Fiat vehicles come with a traditional paper cartridge filter, within a single, reusable plastic container.

As a mechanic, I actually like this set-up better then the screw-on metal filter.

Just my 2 cents.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,417 Posts
I know I make a heck of a lot more mess doing an oil change on my GTI with the screw on type filter than my husband does on his oil changes on his TDI with the paper filter up top. And he has an oil extractor so he can do an oil change in 20 minutes without jacking the car up. Its pretty nice really.

Although the screw on filter would make a lot less mess if there weren't a ton of hoses in the way of getting it out. And I don't mind getting under the car to check on other things while I do the oil change on my car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts