NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my head gasket and put everything back together again. The car started right up and seems to run well. After about 3 - 5 mins I noticed an oil leak; passenger side of engine in area of upper timing belt cover (in back of engine). I can't tell where its coming from. I'm thinking valve cover gasket. Has anyone else had this issue?

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Did you use a new valve cover gasket? Also, the manual calls for the #1 cylinder bearing cap to be coated with sealant before installing the valve cover gasket.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, and yes to your question. I am going to get another new valve cover gasket and try again. Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
14,063 Posts
Did you have the head:

1. checked for straightness?
2. check for cracks?
3. pressure tested?
4. all new head bolts, gaskets, torqued correctly to specs etc.

I would think the valve cover gasket but also wonder if; the head was professionally checked for any issues, as well? :confused:

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I think this may be a valve cover gasket issue??? I know the way the engine is in the car and this corner is hard to see and access that maybe something got bumped out of place and/or maybe the rear bolt was not tightened up properly?

Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all. The head is a brand new head, so I doubt there is a problem with it. Compression is fine and engine runs really well. I am going to pull the upper timing belt cover and run the engine and see if I can see the leak with a flashlight and a mirror.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Make sure you do not have an upper camshaft seal leak.

But I believe if the valve cover leaks at the passenger side rear, you may get some oil in and around the timing belt and the upper rear motor mounting boss??

If you look up from the rear under the engine you will see oil just about the head/block junction.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the input. I finally found the problem. The camshaft seal was the culprit. So once the timing belt came off I also changed the water pump....which I should have done from the beginning!

Thanks again.
Maui Jim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts