NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an oil leak from my 2006 Beetle. It started as a drip and now is putting about 1/8 cup every evening on the driveway. I looks to be above the oil filter housing.
I changed the oil filter yesterday and it keeps leakin.
I can run dye through it next weekend.
Any suggestions?

·
5/23/10 <3
11,172 Posts
I imagine there is an oil cooler on the 2.5? Which would be what the filter screws into. If so, I bet its leaking from there.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do not have a convertable Beetle. I can not see why a convertable oil cooler gasket would be different then a regular.

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
Same part on any 2.5 l motor.

I am pretty sure it is a dealer only part but you can try a parts store.
Is it leaking from the top of the assembly or where the fliter housing screws on.(there is a gasket there also which should come with the filter element)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks VDubYah and Smileybug. Remove maniford to get at it?

I ordered the gasket/o-ring last night. Going to tackle the job this weekend.
I read my manual it looks like I need to remove the intake manifold to get to the part. Is that the way to go at it?

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
My manual says the same, Have to drain the coolent also as the oil cooler has to come off. I think the intake manifold has to come off to get to the assembly.

Looking at my Bentley it looks like a very involed process to get to the gasket.
Whatever you do be careful with the adaptor( what VW calls the thing the gasket is on. It's like a 300 dollar part.)

Good luck, just remember how much labor cost you are saving.

I'ts help keep my sanity on several repairs:D

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. Coolant question

Can I replace the coolant with Prestone or something. Last time I worked on the radiator I used VW coolant from the stealership.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Never mind about coolant. I just read a post from Smileybug

G12. Do not mix. Send the daughter to the stealership for some.

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
If the G13 coolant is fairly recent? Use a clean/new catch pan and drain it from the radiator's drain valve and recycle it back into the system when done. (KEEP IT CLEAN! No Dust Bunnies!)

Yeah it's frowned upon to do this, as new fluid is always better. But at $27.00 a gallon? (that's the cost from our shop) We save when we can.

S-

·
5/23/10 <3
11,172 Posts
G13 has been out for a little bit. Not sure exactly when it came out. But its compatible with G12 and G12+.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Filter Housing has one stubbern mounting bolt

I have all the mounting bolts except one off. The one is right below the old pressure sending unit. I can not get a grip with my T-50 wrench. I tried a new wrench. No dice. Any suggestions?
Thanks

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
I have all the mounting bolts except one off. The one is right below the old pressure sending unit. I can not get a grip with my T-50 wrench. I tried a new wrench. No dice. Any suggestions?
Thanks

I'd have to see it to figure it out. It's a T-50 inside and a bolt head outside?

S-

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
I get the feeling it's one of those oddball 'dealership' style bits of hardware.

CTA 8513 10MM Triple Square Bit Socket

It may or may not be a 10mm. It's just an example of what type I think it is. Torx may not work in that application? Unless one pounds it into the fastener and then replaces it with a new bolt.

I hope I'm wrong. But the websearch I did? Shows Audi and VW uses this.

S-

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
looks like a "triple square" or XZN bolt.

I picked up a cheapo set of triple square bits at oreilly's for about seven bucks, It's a set of 4 of the most common sizes. Auto zone also carries them in their tool section.

How long did it take you to get this far?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It took 4 hours

It was cold this morning and I was working slowly with lots of breaks to thaw my hands. I also had to make a tool for removing the intake manifold, cut a 6mm allen, and glued it to a 6mm 1/4 drive socket then had to find and extension.
Removing the mount for the power steering/ dipstick was awkward and slow.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I went to Advanced auto and bought some cheap 12 pt wrenches

No dice. They say they are metric but they do not fit.
There are two bolts I can not get on the filter housing. I just ordered a set of metric 12 pt sockets from GermanAutoParts under VW tools. The beetle is out until I get the tools.
I noticed the filter housing is plactic. My backout plan it to smash it with a chisel and order a new one for 3 bills. Has anyone had to do this?
Thanks all.

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
If it comes to that? I'd just as well order in new bolts from the dealership and use a reverse drill bit on the old one to extract it. (if you have the clearance) Sucks big time that a very large well known car company has to use some of the screwball fasteners I've seen in a long time.

S-

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thought about reverse drill bit or easy out

I do not have the clearance. I could remove front clip and radiator to get clearance. I have actually done this.
But I am inclined to smash it with a chisel and take the bolts out with a vise grips.
Hopefully the German 12 pt sockets fit and work.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts