NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just changed the oil on our 2002 TDI Beetle with 274k miles, I didn't notice a leak before so it may be coincidence that post oil change there is now a small leak, or it may be that the previous owner used a heavier weight oil?

I used the 505 oil change kit for the TDI Beetle from IDParts 5w40 - A4 ALH Oil Change Kit 505.00 - 074115562 - IDParts.com

Alas, I pulled the dieselgeek skid plate, wiped everything down as best as possible with my massive hands, then ran the engine for a bit and it appears the leak is coming from a hose on an part about 10 inches below the oil filter (see pics). It appears to be right above a black circular

Is this a common problem, something I just need to replace, loose clip, etc?

Thanks for the help guys!

From Beneath:

Top View:

·
Registered
950 Posts
Well, don't post at midnight!

But yah, I was going to say that is your oil cooler and the seal is likely failing.

As I found out from my mechanic when my seal started to fail if it goes entirely all your oil evacuates in a very short time. He recommended replacing the seal every few years as a preventative maintenance.

·
Registered
307 Posts
kinda funny mine went yesterday as well. my guess from experience and having this happen before is a slightly weakened seal from years of use then the cold weather puts higher pressure on it and it goes.

one thing to check before going and replacing the seal, look in your coolant reservoir and see if there is any oil in there. if so your cooler has gone and you need a whole new cooler and you need to flush your coolant system as well.

gl with the seal swap as i'm doing one soon to.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
kinda funny mine went yesterday as well. my guess from experience and having this happen before is a slightly weakened seal from years of use then the cold weather puts higher pressure on it and it goes.

one thing to check before going and replacing the seal, look in your coolant reservoir and see if there is any oil in there. if so your cooler has gone and you need a whole new cooler and you need to flush your coolant system as well.

gl with the seal swap as i'm doing one soon to.
I'll have to take a look in there as I noticed it was a bit low and topped it up a bit but didn't look for oil. I replaced the seals which didn't fix the issue. Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
307 Posts
18 ft/lbs of torque? besides that I will have to think on it a bit. and are you sure you got the top and bottom of the cooler super clean so you got a good seal?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
18 ft/lbs of torque? besides that I will have to think on it a bit. and are you sure you got the top and bottom of the cooler super clean so you got a good seal?
Definitely got 18ft lbs of torque on there (used a torque wrench) and when it leaked I tighted a bit more than. I can retry this evening if need be.

·
Registered
307 Posts
can you get it up on ramps and get under it with a light to see where the leak is coming from in case it isn't the seals?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Obviously, as my photos are from both beneath and above but that's where the leak is coming from. Slowly from the top it oozes out.

55 Posts
definitely the oil cooler.. I had my seal and oil cooler go back in January. my mechanic said he replaced 3/4 of the oil.. what a mess. :( be sure to replace both because my seal was bad and the oil cooler had a small leak.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts