VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems I have a small leak on the rear of my engine near the passengers side. I took some pictures, they're not the best. This seems to have started very recently, the past few days, it has been notably colder in my area if that could be a factor. I feel like I can see some fresher oil originating from further up the engine but honestly this poor ol gal has old oil and crud everywhere which makes it hard to tell.
I'm not the most mechanically inclined but I'm very willing. So if you have any suggestions feel free to use red arrows to point things out on the pictures I've attached. Otherwise I might not know what you're talking about.
Auto part Engine Metal

Auto part Fuel line Engine Pipe
Sorry for the poor quality.

·
Wife's 01 1.8T mechanic
629 Posts
You're off to a good start. Get it up in the air as high as you can. Lift is best, but good stands will do it. Be safe! Spray it down liberally with brake cleaner to get all the oil off it. Get underneath it, have someone start the engine, and look for the oil to appear. Best way to find your leak. Next step would be to add the UV dye, and use the light/glasses kit.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From my very limited knowledge I think valve cover gasket might not be too far off. I'll try cleaning off the back with some wd40 and see where it looks like it's dripping from after a day or so.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
turbo pipe

you don't think it's coming off that turbo pipe in the picture? a little oil in the turbo pipe is normal but a lot means there could be a problem.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, it didn't seem like it was coming from that pipe. From what I've gathered from the suggestions it does seem to be where I believe the valve cover is.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
valve cover

No, it didn't seem like it was coming from that pipe. From what I've gathered from the suggestions it does seem to be where I believe the valve cover is.
Hope that is the case because it's an easy job to replace that valve gasket. have you pulled the spark plugs and checked for oil there? if that gasket is leaking you'll have oil in the wells and plugs themselves.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thought I'd use this same thread to update with my issues. Turns out it is a valve cover leak. However, I am still having an issue with some codes.
p0343
p0411
p1128
The car has gotten 24-28mpg lately, but it smells like hell with unburnt fuel in the exhaust. Also, if I hit the gas hard to pass people it chuggs for a couple seconds before it really starts accelerating. Today I got these codes and cleared them, after which it acted like it was about to die the entire way home at lower rpms, especially at idle. This only occurred after clearing codes I didn't have this issue before.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, I realize vaguely what the codes are but I'm not really sure how to check if my camshaft position sensor is actually bad or not. Neither am I finding any DIY on how to replace it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Found out one code issue,..... camshaft sensor is indeed bad. Auto part
OR so I'm assuming. If a new sensor doesn't fix it I'll **** a brick.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Well, at least that's wasn't hard to diagnose! LOL! Good diagnostic skills! :) It's amazing; how many times; when you look at something, it can be pretty obvious its bad! :)

Make sure you get a high quality OEM replacement; like BOSCH;

All Vehicles - 2000 - Volkswagen - Beetle - GLX - ELECTRICAL - POWERTRAIN CONTROL - CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR
Volkswagen Genuine Factory Part
Part Number: 058905161B

CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR Beetle; 1.8L

$171.63

You can get a Bosch OEM aftermarket version; for less: look up here:

https://www.boschautoparts.com/

Engine Designation: APH

Bosch Part Number: 0232101024 VW factory Part Number: 058905161B

https://www.google.com/search?q=058...ourceid=chrome&es_sm=91&ie=UTF-8#q=0232101024

https://www.google.com/search?q=058...ourceid=chrome&es_sm=91&ie=UTF-8#q=0232101024

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 12 of 12 Posts