NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just had to spend quite a bit getting my 99 New Beetle Dsl 1.9L 5-speed fixed. Mechanic changed out the clogged turbo when the timing belt snapped. He then replaced 3 bent valves and the head gasket. He wanted it out of his garage and told me there was still an little oil leak. I wiped it down and drove it 15 miles and there was oil all over my engine again. I'm thinking it's the oil filler cap and the o-ring?? Can someone offer their opinion from the pics below? He told me I should wipe it down with engine degreaser and look for the leak and let him know but if it's simply the Filler cap and filler cap gasket, I'd rather not bother him...

AFTER WIPING IT DOWN

15 MILES LATER

CLOSER VIEW

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
I'd be worried about the head...even if you can't see valves bent, often they are damaged and could fail down the road. In a TDI, you should replace ALL valves after a timing belt failure.

As for the oil leak, I would wipe it down, and maybe run the car with the hood up and let it idle and take a peak. I'm sure you'll see where its coming from.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will do! They're saying EGR valve on TDIClub but one guy said no way it would spray that bad and thinks its the oil supply line to the turbo is cracked... Will have to see after work today... Anyone possibly have a part number for that supply line??

·
Registered
950 Posts
It looks like the oil spray is on the firewall in the back too, and blocked in the middle as if by the air hose. Might be the turbo is leaking.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ccv

Hm, well I see that my CCV is not connected. Apparently mine was cracked in half and the mechanic didn't have one long enough. He said that most people just run it to the ground since it's just exhaust. Should I get a CCV and reconnected it to my exhaust air-flow or do like this guy says and just run it to the ground? Also, could this be the culprit of all the oil being everywhere. Replaced the Oil Filler Cap on my lunch break but grabbed the wrong oil >.< !! Hoping that it was just the Filler Cap... it really looks almost how I would expect it to look if I was driving without it on!!

·
High mileage driver found
268 Posts
That much oil would lead me to believe that an oil feed line to the turbo is leaking- My father lost the oil cap for my 1.9 TDI without realizing it a few years ago and almost no oil sprayed out of that area over almost 3000 miles of driving. Basically a small stain on my engine cover and that was it. Other things to check are the oil pressure sending unit (just below the oil filter) and check the oil filter cap as well, the o-ring may be damaged.

It's possible the mechanic may have missed one of the steel washers that goes on either side of the banjo fitting at the feed line, I've seen it happen before. Not much in that area really flows that much oil, I mean there's your valve cover gaskets, but there's really no oil pressure happening there... this is something pressurized by the looks of things, so I'd check the turbo first.

Your mechanic should not have let the car go like that. That's really disappointing.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I lost my oil cap and it looked like the Exxon-Valdez.

Just pop the hood and stand there and watch. Even better if you can get someone to rev the engine and hold it at 2000 rpm.

TDI club would be better to post this in, there aren't that many TDI Beetles, and even fewer experts on the subject.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts