NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I'm new to the whole New Beetle family I recently bought a used 2000 2.0LT GLS beetle and I noticed it was burning oil so I did an oil change to it and it worked amazingly after and no smoke at all, it was used about 6 times and then it sat for about a week and half not being used, however today I went to check the oil level and I realized it read extremely low on the dipstick, I checked it multiple times and still got the same result and I thought about putting more oil into it but I had no time because I was in a rush. So I did what I needed to do then I checked it again and it had been running for probably 30 minutes or so and when I checked it, it was back to a normal level. So please I need answers or anything! Also the oil I out into it was 0w40. 馃槉 Thanks.

Registered
G'day Elise. Mine is a '06 1.6. I was lucky enough to get the original owner's manual with it, which advises up to 1 litre per 1000 kms. (Which is roughly, i think, about 2 pints per 650 miles.) This seems like much, much more than any other car I've ever owned, but apparently it's correct. The oil I use is 5W-30, fully synthetic, long-life, and must be VW 503 or 504 specification. (You'll find that in the small print on the back label.) Hope this helps. Cheers, Scruffy.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
G'day Elise. Mine is a '06 1.6. I was lucky enough to get the original owner's manual with it, which advises up to 1 litre per 1000 kms. (Which is roughly, i think, about 2 pints per 650 miles.) This seems like much, much more than any other car I've ever owned, but apparently it's correct. The oil I use is 5W-30, fully synthetic, long-life, and must be VW 503 or 504 specification. (You'll find that in the small print on the back label.) Hope this helps. Cheers, Scruffy.
Thank you Scruffy, the car has been perfectly fine and the oil level has been fine. I don't know why that one time it read low but I'm happy it's not doing it anymore. I really appreciate the reply. Best wishes, Elise.

Registered
Gee you're quick! I forgot to mention... I once got conflicting readings on the dipstick just 'cos I turned it around 180 degrees. Strange but true. If I put the dipstick in with the cross-hatching facing away from me, I get a true reading. But if the cross-hatching is facing towards me I get a low reading. Don't ask me why; I dunno. Have a good one, Scruffy.

Registered
The car does need to be sitting level when you read the oil level, not only front to back but also side to side, and you need to wait about 10 minutes after shutdown before reading that dipstick.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts