NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought my 1st VW Beetle Convertible this past Summer and I have been loving every minute of it. But, here recently when I turn her on the oil light flashes red. It happens more often after she sits in the driveway all night and then try to crank her in the morning. After she warms up the light goes off and does not return.

Anyone know why the light continues to come on every morning and what I could do to stop it?

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
So I bought my 1st VW Beetle Convertible this past Summer and I have been loving every minute of it. But, here recently when I turn her on the oil light flashes red. It happens more often after she sits in the driveway all night and then try to crank her in the morning. After she warms up the light goes off and does not return.

Anyone know why the light continues to come on every morning and what I could do to stop it?
HMM, that isn't good. That Oil light flashing means dangerously low oil pressure. Could be just a bad Oil Pressure sensor but it also could be a clogged Oil Pick up tube or your oil pump going bad. Either way it should be looked at ASAP. Low oil pressure at best causes increased engine wear and if not fixed it can turn that engine into a doorstop.

What type of oil are you running in your beetle? Also what engine do you have? Since it is a 2007 you probably have the 2.5 liter motor.

Make sure you are running a VW spec oil like the Mobil One 0W40 or Castrol Edge 5W40 or Castrol Edge 0W30 European Formula and a high quality oil filter.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I know this may be an obvious question, but I've got to ask... When you check the oil level on the dipstick, what does it say?

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
I know this may be an obvious question, but I've got to ask... When you check the oil level on the dipstick, what does it say?
Hopefully not "Feed Me Seymour" :D

BTW, the US Beetle's don't have a "Low" Oil level sensor. The Oil warning lamp on the dash is for Oil Pressure only.
So when it comes on you better pull over.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Hopefully not "Feed Me Seymour" :D

BTW, the US Beetle's don't have a "Low" Oil level sensor. The Oil warning lamp on the dash is for Oil Pressure only.
So when it comes on you better pull over.
Agreed. If the oil pressure is low due to low oil level, then that is a very bad thing since there would be little to no oil in the engine. But this is possible on an older engine that is consuming (burning and/or leaking) oil at a high rate. It would definitely happen on my 91 Crown Victoria if I didn't check the oil every time I fill up with gas, since it consumes about 1/2 a quart per tank full of gas. At the rate it consumes oil, it would literally consume all 5 quarts of oil before a 3000 mile oil change. :eek:

On the brighter side of things, our 04 Vibe and 05 New Beetle Convertible consume very little oil between oil changes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts