VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 Vw Beetle with a 2.0 5 speed. And my problem is when I rev the motor over 2000 rpm. The cars oil light comes on and flashes. But when it returns to idle goes off. And when I turn the key switch on. It comes on and goes of. I've had the oil pressure checked and the mechanic said it was good. I put a new oil pressure sender on it. And a new coolant sensor on it. The cars had oil changed every 3,000 miles. And runs perfectly no rattles or any abnormal noises. But the light comes on. Plz help I love the car but this has really sumpt me.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I would pull the pan and inspect the oil pick up. Even when the pickups are partially clogged, the oil pressure can appear within spec.

If all basics have been covered and the oil light is still a problem, pull the oil pan and inspect the pick up. Clean and replace items as needed.

The 1.8t oil pan come off in about 30 minutes once you have the lower engine cover off and are under the car, not sure about the 2.0l.

http://newbeetle.org/forums/2-0-liter-gas/63225-blinking-oil-light.html

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. But what I did was I hooked manual gauge. And it old when it's hot. 25 pounds idle and 55-60 at 2,000 rpm. So I'm planning on keeping the manual gauge on it. Is there anyway I can delete the oil light and beeper so it will stop ding ding.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I can assure you that these engines can show decent oil pressure with a manual gauge but have a restricted oil pick up. I have seen it first hand many times.

Usually the hotter the oil the bigger chance there is a drop in pressure. The last 1.8t I pulled the pan on had 2 instances where the oil light came on after 30-40 minutes of driving, the first time, installed a manual gauge and pressures looked fine. A few months later, the pickup was plugged and the motor lost oil pressure to the top end of the motor. Luckily it was salvageable, but in hind sight, should have pulled the oil pan the first time the light came on.

If you expect to keep the car, best to drop the oil pan, inspect and replace the oil pickup as needed. Too many possible problems if you choose not to do this. You will have 2 situations, a clean crankcase and an oil pickup that is in good shape, or a dirty crankcase and a restricted oil pick up.

In either case, you know what the next steps are with the specific engine and oil light warnings.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I understand man. But personally i think if its holding 55 pounds hot and around 2,500 rpm there's not anything wrong with the pump or the pick up. I found some frayed up wires in the harness from rats. So I think that's my biggest issue. I'm just going to away with the light. And they wasn't any codes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts