NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched the forum and been unable to find an answer to my exact problem....my oil light comes on and dings very loudly and constantly and I have full oil and am not due for an oil change yet...why does it keep doing this!? 1999 VW Bug-a-boo!

·
Registered
307 Posts
look underneath your car at the oil pan. if you see a large dent in it i would venture to guess that it has to do with your pickup. That's a guess and where i would start searching.

·
Super smart senior member
857 Posts
I have searched the forum and been unable to find an answer to my exact problem....my oil light comes on and dings very loudly and constantly and I have full oil and am not due for an oil change yet...why does it keep doing this!? 1999 VW Bug-a-boo!
If its dinging that mean you have low or no oil pressure and you risk catastrophic damage to your engine if you drive it. Just because you have oil doesn't mean your oil pump is bad or filled with shrapnel. You need to have it looked at.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Had the same issue a few years ago. Turned out to be a bad oil pressure sender. I put a gauge in shortly afterward (<grin> You DO need to get it checked ASAP though

·
Registered
307 Posts
forgot about the oil pressure sending unit that would be another good place to look, and as others said if the oil pressure is zero or low it will do excessively bad things so you really should get it fixed.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I'd suggest you do the following steps:
1. check the electrical connector at the oil pressure sending unit, make sure it's tight and the metal not contaminated with oil or oxidized.
2. If the electrical connector appears to be good, have a mechanic hook up an oil pressure gauge to check the engine oil pressure.

If the pressure is good, replace the oil pressure sending unit.

If the pressure is low or zero, your engine is probably gone and you have to swap it with a new engine(considering you've driven your car with low oil pressure for some time, the engine is definitely damaged).

·
Super smart senior member
857 Posts
I'd suggest you do the following steps:
1. check the electrical connector at the oil pressure sending unit, make sure it's tight and the metal not contaminated with oil or oxidized.
2. If the electrical connector appears to be good, have a mechanic hook up an oil pressure gauge to check the engine oil pressure.

If the pressure is good, replace the oil pressure sending unit.

If the pressure is low or zero, your engine is probably gone and you have to swap it with a new engine(considering you've driven your car with low oil pressure for some time, the engine is definitely damaged).
There is a chance that the patina could stay intact long enough to protect the engine for a little depending on how far he/she drove.

·
Registered
512 Posts
There is a chance that the patina could stay intact long enough to protect the engine for a little depending on how far he/she drove.

I don't think it matters. If the oil pressure is low then the engine is already damaged that needs replacement or rebuild. If the oil pressure is good the engine is fine and doesn't matter if he/she drives it for another 1000 miles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts