NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

So I have a 2000 GLS and I've noticed oil leaking from one of the lines in the car. I'm not sure what line it is, only that it seems to be quite long and runs the span of the car, nearly.

Given the length, what are my options for repairing the line? Replacing the entire thing sounds like it would be very costly.

The leak is not heavy duty... I've been monitoring oil levels and they're not much lower than they should be, and it doesn't leave any discernible oil patches on the driveway, either.

Advice appreciated.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,172 Posts
Not sure of any lines that span the whole car. Maybe its brake fluid?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like oil. I don't think it spans the entire car, but it seems quite long and runs from the engine down toward the rear of the car.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,172 Posts
Brake fluid is also dark like oil. Brake lines are all I can think of, other than fuel lines, that run down from the front to the rear of the car.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm an idiot. The line I'm referring to is the rubber part of the turbo oil feed line. Not the steel half. It's weeping somewhere along the rubber or possibly the fitting.

What I need to know is if I can get away repairing it with shrink tube (what kind of PSI runs through this line?) or if I have to set up a heavier duty solution.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
turbo feed

:popcorn: Look's like we need a Turbo guy to answer this tricky question. My first guess is it's the same as your car's oil pressure, around 30-35 psi I believe.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
oil leak

I still not sure exactly where this leak is, can you perhaps take a photo of this leak so we can help ya out better.....:D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can't really get at it without jacking the car up, which I can't do right now. The turbo oil feed line has two components, a steel section and a rubber section. The rubber section, beneath the battery box, is where the leak is occuring.

There is a banjo fitting along the line that probably has o-rings that could be the source of the leak, or the rubber could simply be weeping. I'm not sure which.

Given that the oil pressure seems to be too great for a simple repair with shrinktube, I'm investigating options to repair the line in other ways.

·
Registered
14,080 Posts
Because it is such important oil feed; I would just replace it or you could have a hydraulic shop make you a new line (they maybe able to repair the old one). The turbo feed lines that I have replaced; have all been metal/steel braided lines. If you take your old one to a hose shop, they can be made easily and maybe better quality then stock. They could replace the flexible portion of the line and crimp it back on the metal portion. I would make a point of thoroughly cleaning out the line; before putting it back on, remove any debris, coking up or gunk, oil galley pipe cleaners would be good for that job. Because of how the ends have such little access; these probably could only be cleaned; when the flexible hose portion is removed (on the feed line which has the unique ends on them).

@ over $100; getting one made/repaired, might save you some dough.

http://www.partswebsite.com/vwparts...tid=0&type=parts&image=9210540&imagecallout=4

another link with a picture: feed line

Volkswagen New Beetle 1.8T > Search > Oil Feed > ES#5209 Turbo Oil Line - Feed - 06A145778D

another link with a picture: return line

Volkswagen New Beetle 1.8T > Search > Turbo > ES#1905748 Turbo Oil Line - Return - 06A145735AA

oil gallery cleaning brushes

http://www.google.com/search?client...or.r_qf.&fp=832708c3c2540e54&biw=1246&bih=892

http://www.harborfreight.com/10-piece-tube-brush-kit-95947.html

1 - 11 of 11 Posts