NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my 01 Beetle it had this pan guard on it and I haven seen anyone post info on these. I need some hardware to reinstall it and I have to weld back a cracked off piece. Any info you guys have on it? Was this a factory thing, I don't see any numbers - but I have to degrease it anyway and maybe I'll find something if no one has any data. Tks Bart

Attachments

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are two quick release fasteners that hold it to the block on the radiator side (one is pictured) there is one cap screw that fastens it inboard - that section cracked off requiring weld attention. I am missing one of the fasteners and have no idea who made this. The prior owner was a woman and the car was stock GLS. I imagine she may have punctured the pan and was sold a pan guard , well that's my theory anyway. I bought a parts car with TBD (thrown belt disease) and stripped the engine down, figured I could use it to repair the pan guard easily. None knows where this came from?

·
μολὼν λαβ
213 Posts
The '02 that I used to have (2.0 w/4sp auto) had this same steel plate protecting the oil pan. Here's the item and the associated part numbers and representative prices. As far as I know it's all OEM and standard equipment, and I think these are the fasteners you're looking for. It's listed as fitting 1998-2003 NBs.

194103150.jpg

(38) 06A103638C Grommet
New Beetle
AZG,AVH.
$2.59

(37) 06A103952 Rivet
New Beetle
AZG,AVH.
$2.24

I can get the part number for the cover plate itself and socket bolt, etc. The cover plate is around $126

·
2,646 Posts
My wife's 01 Jetta 2.0L auto we bought new had this on it. There was a pretty firm foam pad between the guard and the aluminum oil pan. Great idea, needed on NBs more than Jettas, didn't know if some NBs came with them, but had my 2 NBs ever needed a pan replaced I think I would've looked for one at a salvage yard to protect my investment.

·
μολὼν λαβ
213 Posts
BTW, glassbuggy, if I recall, the two grommet fasteners are on the back side of the cover, and the single socket-head bolt is on the radiator side. Wawalker is correct about the foam. When installed, the cover is a tight fit against the oil pan, compressing the foam a bit.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Holy smokes it is a VW part! My engine is an AVH ( Alex Van Halen ) the part# 38 and it's counterpart is used twice - it only shows on the diagram once. The barrel pushes into the block and the other piece pushes into it from the pan side. Then there is a pin that taps into it to fasten it together. To release it you just tap the pin through the fastener

1 - 9 of 9 Posts