NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody had problems removing the oil pan allen head bolts? Some of mine by the middle section are too tight that I stopped the job last week and want to research this more before I make things worst, like strip or break the bolts. I had no problems with the hidden ones by the bell housing. Any past experience or lessons learned will be appreciated,

thanks folks

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Hi Esse10

I'll state some of the things I would do. Some may be obvious; I don't mean to insult your intelligence.

Use a metric hex socket, not a close inch size.
Use a straight end rather than ball end.
Keep the bolt head socket and tool end dry of oil.
Tap on the end of the extensions with a hammer to try and cause some vibration in the bolt to break it loose.
Try and apply tightening force to see if that will break it loose.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi Esse10

I'll state some of the things I would do. Some may be obvious; I don't mean to insult your intelligence.

Use a metric hex socket, not a close inch size.
Use a straight end rather than ball end.
Keep the bolt head socket and tool end dry of oil.
Tap on the end of the extensions with a hammer to try and cause some vibration in the bolt to break it loose.
Try and apply tightening force to see if that will break it loose.
how about using a 10mm socket on the bolt head?

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bolts

Actually I was wondering if anybody has had this issue before but all input is welcomed.

I think somebody(previous owner)overtightened those because there must have been a slight oil leak. I might try and see if BP Blaster might do the trick for me.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
My oil pan had never been off my 2003 1.8t before I removed it.

I will say I had a slight bit of issue with 1 or 2 bolts near the front of the engine that went into the bottom of the front cover behind the timing belt as I recall. They loosened up no problem, but tried to gall a bit. I worked the bolts back and forth very carefully and used some WD40 on the bolts.

I think these were an issue as the end of the bolts were exposed to water and the elements and may have had a bit of corrosion due to the end of the bolts being exposed.

Other than these 2 bolts, one was worse then the other, no issues with the bolts alone the main sides of the engine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts