NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting on a new oil pan and gasket and wondered if I should use silicone sealer or just use the new gasket dry.

I've heard both arguments for years....but this Felpro gasket is different from just a paper type. it almost looks 'varnished'...or coated with some type of coating.

·
Registered
14,067 Posts
I would check with your Volkswagen dealer for the recommended sealer or gasket application for your particular VIN #; (I'm not seeing a year, model or engine code in your info). Some of the VW engines; I think just use a sealer, instead of a gasket.

For example; for a 2000 new beetle with a 2.0L; www.vwpart2go.com lists only a sealer for that particular car:

Part: OIL PAN SEALER

Part Number: D-176-404-A2

Description: OIL PAN SEALER

Price $20.63

From what I can tell; it is possibly, just a relabeled version of a Victor Reinz product, which is cheaper through your normal auto parts store.

Engine Sealing Compound (OEM Spec, 70ml)

Victor Reinz

OE Part #: D176404A2

Mfg Part #: 703141410

$12.95

You can download the VR info about the product here (.pdf format):

http://www.victorreinz.com/EN/Products/Sealing-compounds.aspx

So, it really just depends on what way you want to go; genuine VW sealer (or the VR equivalent for less money) or aftermarket gasket solutions, like Felpro. In my opinion: I would think; if the engine sealer solution, is applied correctly; that it would be less prone to leaking long term, then a traditional gasket.

Using the Felpro solution:

I would go with the recommendation from Felpro; their gasket sets, usually come with a instruction sheet included with installation instructions and any specific sealer info they recommend using. What is the part #?

You can call Felpro tech support; they could probably answer any questions you might have about installing their product.

United States
Product Technical Support
Techline
Phone: 800-325-8886
3168 Riverport Tech Center Drive
Maryland Heights, Missouri

1 - 2 of 2 Posts