NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to buy an oil pain for a 98 standard vw beetle that has four cylinders. The mechanic wants to charge me 420$ for it. 275 for parts, 30 for an oil change and 120 for labor.

Comments? and Advice?

·
5/23/10 <3
11,090 Posts
2.0L I assume?

I had my oil pan replaced a few months ago...I brought in my own oil, but otherwise, I had the pan done with new oil for less than $200. Pan, sealant, filter. If your pan is shot, hopefully the $30 for the "oil change" is the cost of oil and filter. New oil needs to be put in after a replacement...part of the job as far as I'm concerned. You can get the pan for less than $100 online.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,090 Posts
I had hit a piece of debris which ripped a hole in my oil pan. I had a new pan put on so I was charged for the pan, an hour of labor, and an oil filter. It was $90 for the pan and you can get them for around that price yourself online at various parts places. Total, the bill was under $200 for everything, parts and labor.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah they are charging me 2 hours of labor 120 plus 275 for the part.. they said they need gaskets or something. So I am getting ripped off right?

·
5/23/10 <3
11,090 Posts
I think they want too much money. No gaskets as far as I'm aware...just need some sealant (that's all I was charged for, no gaskets). See if maybe they will let you bring in your own parts...may be cheaper for you that way. Is this a VW shop?

·
HP Technician
449 Posts
Yeah they are charging me 2 hours of labor 120 plus 275 for the part.. they said they need gaskets or something. So I am getting ripped off right?
Not quite ripped off but yes, shops generally buy a part from the same place you could but then multiply it by two. Save the multiplying by two by just getting the parts yourself.....which isn't easy to do when you are without a car in unexpected circumstances.

When I had a shop replace a radiator on my truck I sat in the waiting room and literally watched the guy from two doors down at the parts store walk the radiator over to the shop.

I then called the parts store on my phone and asked how much a radiator would be for my truck. He said $130. The shop was charging me $260. Literally multiplied the part times two lol.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think they want too much money. No gaskets as far as I'm aware...just need some sealant (that's all I was charged for, no gaskets). See if maybe they will let you bring in your own parts...may be cheaper for you that way. Is this a VW shop?
No its just some place my father knows. I have to figure out if I have the one with the oil sensor or not and if anything else was ruined by w.e. I hit in the road...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not quite ripped off but yes, shops generally buy a part from the same place you could but then multiply it by two. Save the multiplying by two by just getting the parts yourself.....which isn't easy to do when you are without a car in unexpected circumstances.

When I had a shop replace a radiator on my truck I sat in the waiting room and literally watched the guy from two doors down at the parts store walk the radiator over to the shop.

I then called the parts store on my phone and asked how much a radiator would be for my truck. He said $130. The shop was charging me $260. Literally multiplied the part times two lol.
I can go get the oil pail myself but IDK which one to get and what else I should get with it.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,090 Posts
You do not have a level sender. I think it may be other Mk4 cars or European cars that have the sender and the parts are interchangeable or something. Not sure what the deal is. But as far as I'm aware, no NB came with an oil level sender.

And Zann...depends on where you go. My shop doesn't really make much money on parts. It might be that they know me really well but they also let people bring in their own parts so they charge little over what it costs them. Again, they charged me $90...the pan is $89 on GAP (not including shipping) so it is actually a better deal from them a lot of times. Your more local indy shops are better with parts prices IMO.

I would try to find a VW specific shop. Sounds like they may not know the cars well enough to charge you accordingly.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Could you possibly tell me if your car is a standard? 2.0? non turbo same year and make as mine?

also could u possibly find the same OIL pan online that you bought and attach a link? I called my local auto zone and they told me they can order the part for me for 60 plus a gasket 13.. which is a lot cheaper... than the damn mechanic then ill just pay someone to replace it.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,090 Posts
My car was a 5-speed 2.0L '99. I bought the pan through my mechanic.

And yes, I believe they are referring to the level sender. There is a hole in the pan for cars with the sender, so its a different part.

Here, you can actually get a pan with a steel plate reinforcement for $100, which is really great. Helps keep it from getting damaged and puntured as easily: GermanAutoParts.com

Two other good parts places with pans for around the same price:
http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-New_Beetle--2.0/Engine/Mechanical/Oil_Pan/
Your Parts Search Returned 2 Part(s)

I understand wanting to save money, but you also get what you pay for. I've not had much luck with bigger parts for VWs from Autozone. Their pans may be fine. But I'd rather buy from a reputable VW parts place myself.

·
HP Technician
449 Posts
I believe you can return a new part. I very often have bought the wrong part and went back and got the right one - long as you don't destroy the box and it's a short amount of time, like same or next day. Just explain the situation to the clerk and remember his name so you can ask for him if you need to exchange the part.

Taken from their website: Product Return to an AutoZone store
To return a product to an AutoZone store, simply take the product, in its original packaging and/or box, and your receipt to the store of your choice. You must drain all fluids, if any, from the product before returning it.* Also, if possible, take the credit card used to purchase the part and the store will immediately credit it for the price of the part. All returns to an AutoZone store are subject to the in-store return policy.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Oil pan

Don't do it.. its easy to change your self. You can get a pan on ebay for like 75 bucks shipped. Just make sure you order the one with or without the Oil level sensor hole, depending on if your car has an Oil level sensor or not.
Its a really easy change , like 20 - 30 minute job tops.
While your at it get an oil filter and you get an oil change done at the same time.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Don't do it.. its easy to change your self. You can get a pan on ebay for like 75 bucks shipped. Just make sure you order the one with or without the Oil level sensor hole, depending on if your car has an Oil level sensor or not.
Its a really easy change , like 20 - 30 minute job tops.
While your at it get an oil filter and you get an oil change done at the same time.
IMHO, DO NOT TRY TO DO THE OIL PAN YOURSELF! If you cannot look up the part online or give a parts person the needed information to get the correct part the you do not need to be trying an oil pan install. Yes it is very easy for someone with a little mechanical ability and the willingness to get a little dirty. If you do the oil pan just realize that if you overtighten or leave it loose it will leak. If you over or under fill the engine with oil afterward you can cause issues. Ask youre dad to help you if nothing else.

·
I don't care.....
786 Posts
Hi,

you should not pay anymore than £150 (not sure on the conversion rate atm) for the whole job doing including oil.

The pan itself is about £40, oil £20 and the rest labour.

I know these are english rates but i'm on my 3rd this year, lol.

·
HP Technician
449 Posts
IMHO, DO NOT TRY TO DO THE OIL PAN YOURSELF! If you cannot look up the part online or give a parts person the needed information to get the correct part the you do not need to be trying an oil pan install. Yes it is very easy for someone with a little mechanical ability and the willingness to get a little dirty. If you do the oil pan just realize that if you overtighten or leave it loose it will leak. If you over or under fill the engine with oil afterward you can cause issues. Ask youre dad to help you if nothing else.
Exactly what I was thinking when I read his reply to the original poster. Everything I have read tells me this is not a task for them. Changing a headlight bulb is easy but I would not expect my mom to be able to understand how to do it correctly.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts