VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey-
My daughter mentioned her car was "rattling" at idle. I found the oil pan skid plate (shield) was the culprit. It looks like it's missing a bolt or two.

I can't seem to find what bolt size I need. I prefer to get the bolt at my local hardware store, but need the size before heading down there.

Anyone know the bolt sizes for this skid plate?

Thanks!

Edit:
2001 Beetle - 5sp manual 2.0 AVH
Stock oil pan skid plate

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Hey, please fill in your info; about your car, so we can help you intelligently (right hand side: join date, location, car).

directions: click on "profile"; then "about me" and fill in car: year, model, engine, trans and where you live, if you like. Thanks! :)

So, what year, model, engine and transmission of a new beetle, are we talking about? Is the skid plate stock or a aftermarket version, like a Dieselgeek Panzer plate?

If there are some bolts left; you could just take one out and have a hardware store, match it up for you. Otherwise, your local Volkswagen dealer; could order them for you as well.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I call this part the turtle shell. I have a how to in the works on this but not quite ready to post it yet. In the meantime there are only two metric socket head screws that hold this on but several plastic barrel rivet looking pieces that locate it. The problem with the beast that I've seen is that 1) the brackets fatigue and break ( which is part of my how to pending ). 2) when the tortoise shell gets a good hit, it gets out of shape and doesn't want to fit anymore

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone. I realized shortly after, that I provided zero details about her car :) I'll be sure to update my profile to include the information.

But, here it is:

2001 Beetle - 5sp manual 2.0 AVH

From the blowup posted - it looks like I need parts #35, 36, 39 and 40. It is the STOCK skid plate hardware I need.

Thanks to you both for the replies.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts