NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
22 Posts
amsoil

I use AMSOIL full synthetic 5w-30 high performance motor oil in my 98 2.0 beetle. It runs real nice and should last at least 7500 miles or more if you change the filter every once in a while. It costs about 6.50 a quart i think, but only the best for my bug :D .

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
Red Line 5w-40 full synthetic oil changed every 15K miles.
Shows low wear metels, and good soot suspension. Hard to beat at $5.75 per quart, considering how long it is used.

·
big poster turned lurker.
9,487 Posts
I use Mobil 1 extended performance 15w50. I just did my forst change since i started using it (after 14,200 miles) and it was BLACK. But it did go for 15k, like the commercials said.

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
I use regular Castrol GTX 10W-40. 74,000 miles and uses no oil in between changes (every 3000 miles). I use a Bosch filter. Total cost of oil change: $12.50.

·
266 Posts
I use the synthetic Mobil 0w-40, i switched to that from what ever the dealer puts in, which i think is castro gtx and the car ran by far way quieter. Sounded like a new motor.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Hi,

When I had the VW Dealer Change the Oil in My 2000 New Beetle At 57,590,I used full synthetic, as I Do not know what the other owner had used. My VW Dealer was running a special then, so I Am going to stay with full synthetic, on all my oil changes.

John K.

·
Eine Kleine Panzer
210 Posts
Mobil 1 0W40 synth with Mobil 1 filter every 5k miles...no oil burning issues at all.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey ya'll...

man I hope I'm not the only one using this but I use Valvoline MaxLife Synthetic 5w-30. I have just over 100K on my car and that seems to last a little longer and run better in between oil changes every 5-6K miles.

On another note.... Has anyone else had to replace the tube that holds the oil dipstick? Mine cracked and crumbled and so the dipstick sank, so when I would check my oil it would read above the line. It was about $15 from the dealer but still.... cheap brittle plastic. Why cant they make car parts like they use to? a little longer lasting!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts