VW Beetle Forum banner

Oil pooling on top of block

5K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  billymade 
#1 ·
So I need to figure out what is wrong and fix it on a shoestring budget. I first noticed the issue when I when I started to notice a small oil drip under the car. I’ve kept an eye on it and I’m putting about 1/4 to 1/2 quart of oil in it every week or 2. It’s sitting close to 200k miles on it an it is an 06 2.5 so a small oil leak isn’t a huge surprise. Recently it’s started smoking at stop lights and upon parking in an enclosed area. As far as I can tell I think I have a leak near some sensor and at the far right injector or at least it’s wet and also in and around the coil packs and exhaust shroud. Is it the valve cover gasket or something more serious?

See less See more
#2 ·
The main issue with major oil leaks with the 2.5L; seems to typically, come from the vacuum pump (delete, replace seals; are the typical fix). Read and learn more here:

USP/Spulen delete kit:

repair info and seal replacement kits:

#4 ·
Aside from that: after 200k, the valve cover gasket, would be a a possibility; another issue, which is common, is the failure of the PCV (valve), which could possibly leak oil out of the hole at the bottom of the round cover. The diaphragm, tends to tear and cause problems; there are diaphragm repair kits or at one point, replacing the whole valve cover, was the only way to fix the issue (VW integrated the PCV; into the valve cover assembly).

Learn more about the PCV repair kits here: (sold by Dorman and RKXTech; some say the RKXTech version is higher quality):

Note: some descriptions of the PCV: are said to be a "PCV/Oil Separator"; so, that might be a indicator, that if the diaphragm fails, it could leak oil and throw this "mist" all over the top of your engine?

Defintiely, something to check out and it is a cheap fix and you might just go ahead and replace the valve cover gasket, as well, for good measure.

#7 ·
Just had this on my wifes car. I did all three things at same time. The pooling of oil on top.of block was from valve cover gasket which was hard as a rock and pooling both on top and in some spark plug holes. So while I was at it I replaced the PC, and vacuum pump seals did not take long at all and now all oil leaks are gone. Hope this helps. All quality parts can be had on amazon.

#9 ·
Please, report back; after your repairs and share your experience, on what repairs you do and your results. This type of info, can help people in the future; who are experiening, the same leaks you are. Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.