VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have a 2012 VW Beetle, 2.5L engine, with only 58,000 miles on it. Well taken care care of, regular maintenance, regular oil changes, etc.

The red flashing oil light came on in the vehicle. I brought the car to a VW certified mechanic (not the dealer). They hooked it up to the scanner and found trouble code P164D - oil pressure switch for reduced oil pressure malfunction. They removed the reduced oil pressure switch to hook it up to their oil pressure gauge. They found oil pressure to be 12–15 PSI at idle, with small increases with higher RPM, but still below specs. They said normal range is between 18–45 PSI.

At my direction, they went ahead and replaced the reduced oil pressure sensor and the oil pressure sender. They checked the connections, and said they looked normal.

They also looked at the oil in the engine, which had been replaced 4 months earlier, and saw no indications of sludge. Regardless, I had them flush the engine oil with treatment, replace the oil filter, and add new 10W/30 oil (as opposed to the spec 5W/30, under the theory that the heavier oil would increase pressure).

After all of this, the red oil indicator light still comes on—every single time I start my car. Previously, it only came on after driving the car a few blocks, then would go away after several minutes. Now, it comes on at idle every single time I start the car and stays on persistently.

The mechanic advised that I need an engine tear down for inspection or just replace the engine.

I don’t know what to do. Before this issue arose, I had intended to sell the car. I am now considering selling it with the indicator light on, but of course that will significantly reduce its market value. I would like to be able to fix the issue, but I can only do so if additional diagnostics and repairs are at a reasonable cost.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.

Carly

1 - 1 of 1 Posts