VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having looked on here there seem to have been many issues with the oil pressure light/alarm activating when oil pressure is ok. I have recently bought a 2001 beetle details below;
2.0L
Manual
AQY engine
123,000 kms

The story so far;
Bought the car private sale 9 days ago
Car drives very well. Engine feels good, is response and performs well. No blue smoke or oil use in first few hundred kilometres of driving & no unusual noises.
On test drive I stopped and checked the oil, it was low so I bought a litre and topped it up everything seemed fine & the owner had a genuine explanation.
Negotiated a price & drove the car away.
The drive home was approximately 50kms and the oil light flashed/alarm beeped 2 or 3 times.
Before driving further I changed the oil and filter. Not sure if this is relevant but I also disconnected the oil sump level sensor and reconnected.
Unsure what the oil in the car was but I changed it for 5-40 as per Haynes manual for Perth climate
Now when driving I consistently go for 10 to 15 minutes (town traffic or freeway doesn’t seem to matter) & then the alarm will start and continue until stopped. If I restart the car soon after, the problem exists from the start. I haven’t driven the car enough to establish any patterns but it seems very random after the initial 10-15 minutes with alarm going off every 2-3 minutes. When sat stationary & idling at 800rpm the alarm does not activate it is only a problem when driving.
Next I dropped the oil pan to check the strainer (bit of a concern as there were metal ‘chips’ approx. 3-4mm square and fractions of a mm thick in the very bottom of the sump, I would describe the quantity as a small ‘pinch’ as in a pinch of salt). The suction strainer was completely clear.
At idle manual oil pressure gauge is reading ~30psi when cold and drops to 7-8psi when warm & after ~ 5mins. Oil pressure remains at 8 psi & increases to 60psi when revved.
Oil pressure sensor appears to be working correctly although I’m not sure it is the original item. I tested it by measuring resistance and pressing an air gun nozzle into the oil passage, resistance dropped from infinite to less than 1 ohm (I think, can’t remember exactly)
I have bought an OBDII scanner (I’m new to these & I’m not sure if it has full functionality) that bluetooths to my phone with Torque Pro ap, this shows one fault - a misfire on cylinder 1. You certainly can’t hear or feel this so not sure if it’s old data or very sensitive.
I’ve read on here the oil pressure alarm fault can be caused by a faulty coolant temp sensor. I haven’t seen this light come on other than self-test when turning on the car & the Torque Pro app shows readings when driving between 84 & 90 degrees Celsius – so it appears as though it is working correctly.
I contacted the previous owner & he told me when they first bought the car it had the same issue & they replaced the oil level sensor in the sump & the problem went away (I currently have one of these on order). Possibly also relevant is that the car hadn’t been used for 3 months before we bought it and the battery was flat prior to advertising for sale – I’m wondering if the low oil & flat battery has messed up the on board computer. I’ve disconnected the battery to test this theory & all that has happened is the ‘check engine’ light is now on…
If the oil level indicator doesn’t fix the problem I’m running out of ideas so any other suggestions or comments are appreciated…

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Based upon; your references, to Perth, I am assuming you are in Australia? You have done; allot of testing and troubleshooting so far! Good job!

Well, of primary concern; is the actual oil pressure specs, from your testing.

The manual; shows the specs here: (note: the manuals, do not have a reference to the "AQY" engine code but I am assuming, the specs for the 2.0L is the same):

Engine Oil Pressure: Specifications Engine Oil Specifications:

At Idle And An Oil Temperature Of 80°C Oil Pressure: 2.0 Minimum (29 psi)

At 2000 RPM And An Oil Temperature Of 80°C Oil Pressure: 3.0 (43.5 psi) to 4.5 Bar (65 psi) Minimum

At Higher RPM With Oil Temperature Of 80°C: Oil Pressure: Must Not Exceed 7.0 Bar (101.5 psi)

I would say; that you are VERY LOW on your oil pressure, at idle, it should be a minimum of 29 psi and you are are at 7-8 psi. At this low of oil pressure; I WOULD NOT drive the car, until you repair the issue. The risk of causing damage to the engine or catastrophic failure, is possible. Based on the shavings; hopefully, you have caught things early but you will have to inspect things, to know for sure.

As noted in other threads; people have had problems with the oil cooler/oil filter bracket pressure valve being clogged with debris, possible clogging of other areas and worst case scenario, worn bearings, bad oil pump, etc.

At that basic level; you need to get the pressure up to spec and that pretty much eliminates all of the other issues, like wiring, sending units or oil level sensors etc.

Oil pressure testing pages:

Volkswagen Workshop Manuals > New Beetle GLS L4-2.0L (AVH) (2001) > Engine, Cooling and Exhaust > Engine > Engine Lubrication > Engine Oil Pressure > Component Information > Specifications

manual recommendations; for low oil pressure:

If specifications are not obtained:
- Correct mechanical damage, e.g. bearing damage. - Replace oil filter flange with pressure relief valve, Refer to Oil Filter, Service and Repair, Oil Filter Flange Assembly, See (item 12 ) and / or
replace oil pump, Refer to Engine Lubrication, Service and Repair, See (item 15 ). If specification is exceeded:
- Check oil galleries. - If necessary, replace oil filter flange with pressure relief valve.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input. I too was concerned about the oil pressure but two things are bugging me. Firstly the previous owner seems to have been straight with me and very genuine...so seems odd the previous fix was the sensor, secondly the engine runs and sounds so well, i'd really expect to hear some mechanical noise if the engine was that worn...(also I'd expect low pressure too be showing at idle). Having said all that I'm not ruling out wear or failing oil pump (which would explain the non ferrous debris in the sump)...out of interest has anyone posted actual oil pressure readings on here using a gauge that meet manual spec...or seen similar to mine and not had the oil pressure warning issues? Thanks again...

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
With all due respect; the reality of the situation is staring you in the face! :) You have LOW oil pressure; all of the other issues, of the previous owner and "fixes" are irrelevant. You need to find out WHY the oil pressure is so low and meanwhile, do your best to not make any potential damage worse. It sounds like; you are in denial! Listen to what the engine, oil pressure gauge is telling you and more forward, based on the hard cold facts the testing is telling you! Keep us informed; as your troubleshooting and repairs, move forward! :)

If you are concerned your oil pressure gauge is inaccurate; try borrowing another one and see, if the pressure readings are the same.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Is this thread still being looked at?? I have had similar issues on my 2001 NB AZG engine, though not as severe (22psi @ hot idle). Wondering what was found to fix this problem, to give me some ideas what to look for.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2009 VW is doing this now. I took it in and got an oil change and they looked it over and they can't fond a thing wrong. I am at my 2nd mechanic and they are stumped too. I can't stand the beeping. A half hour deive and it went off 21 times and I need my car to get to work! HELP!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts