NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m sorry if this is long and in the wrong part of the forum. I’ve got an 03 GLS Turbo (1.8T) with an overheating issue but now oil pressure light is on and blinking/beeping. I was headed to work this morning and the oil pressure light came on flashing and beeping. I had just changed the oil 1,500 miles ago so I figured it was an electrical issue with the cluster. Drove 3 more miles and then the temp warning light starts flashing and beeping. I pulled over and she’s steaming. Popped the hood and the steam is coming from the turbo area in the rear of the engine bay. I proceeded to add more coolant and I hear it leaking from the same area the steam came from.
I’ve been having an overheating issue and I thought I had it fixed. I’ve already replaced both thermostat housings in the front of the bay and a seal in one of them. I noticed yesterday that the fuse module by the battery needs to be replaced because my radiator fans are turning on. Now this happened and I can’t find anything online to help identify the issue. I made it to work but I still need to get my Beetle home when I get off.

·
Registered
12,339 Posts
First, i would fix all cooling leaks, using a cooling-pressure test kit; will make this testing easier and then, a coolant vacuum fill, would evacuate all air out of the system. At that point, one could evaluate the overheating issue and see, what the problem might be (water pump, head gasket, etc).

I would scan for trouble codes with a scan tool, then monitor temps with live data and compare actual temps with a infrared temp gun, on various parts of the engine, confirming the temp sensor is working as it should.

As to the oil pressure light and coolant temp sensor; we have seen where a defective sensor wiring or the coolant temp sensor, will kick on he oil pressure sensor light, when the oil pressure is in reality, fine. Scan for codes, check the coolant sensor light modes act normally, look for wiring, plug damage and view coolant temp live data. I had a wire break off the plug to the coolant temp sensor; the coolant temp light acted odd (blue mode blinked, never changed color, then stayed blue or went off).

Blue coolant light = engine cold
Flashing blue coolant light = fault in the coolant monitoring system
Flashing red coolant light = low on coolant
Steady red coolant light = engine overheating, pull over and stop engine IMMEDIATELY and do not run until the problem has been identified.

I confirmed my oil pressure was in spec with a oil pressure test gauge kit; noticed a trouble code for the coolant sensor short to ground, saw the terminal wire damage at the sensor plug. I replaced the coolant temp sensor: terminal wire ends, plug, sensor itself with genuine vw parts from my vw dealer and this cured ALL my problems (including the beeping oil pressure light).

Remember, i technically, did not have a coolant leak or overheating problem but had a electrical issue with troubled codes, odd coolant light behavior and the oil pressure light coming on (beeping, blinking and staying on at times).

So, fixing the coolant leaks, air pockets and overheating problems first and then addressing the rest would be the way to go.

Let us know, what testing results you get, any trouble codes found and any repairs, you end up needing to do. Thanks.

PS: if all this work, is beyond your ability or you need things fixed immediately;: you might take it to a vw specialty repair shop; for full evaluation, diagnostics and repair.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts