NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 beetle convert 1.8 turbo.

Oil light comes on above 1000rpm, goes off under 1000rpm.

Was a quart low , added oil, same problem. What's up?

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
2004 beetle convert 1.8 turbo.

Oil light comes on above 1000rpm, goes off under 1000rpm.

Was a quart low , added oil, same problem. What's up?
What kind of oil are you running in your car?

Any error codes? Is the light flashing or steady on?
Could be a clogged oil pick up tube, failing oil pump, clogged oil filter. Difficult to say just looking at the light.
When is the last time you changed the oil? Are you using VW Spec 502/505 Oil. Mobil One 0W40 or Castrol Edge 5W40 or Castrol Syntec/Edge 0W30 are all VW 502 and 505 spec oils which are easily available at either Autozone or Pep Boys.
If you are not using a Synthetic oil in your car or not changing the oil every 4000-5000 miles you could have sludge build up which the 1.8T engine is especially prone to.

Hope you find the issue soon because you don't want to drive the car with insufficient oil pressure.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Could be the sender, but I would not rule out a pick-up problem or an oil pump. Regardless, it needs to be addressed immediately, unless you only drive under 1000 rpm.

I trust your using 0w40 or 5w40 weight synthetic oil, and it's current.

M.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Didn't know about synthetic oil 'till after I added the 1 quart. I'm really trying to find out what kind and size tools I need to remove the skid plate (a zillion different sized bolts) and the oil pan, which seems to be two pieces.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
First off, don't be concerned that the type or weight of the existing oil is the cause. Very unlikely unless way old or viscosity is way low. Just in the future do your engine a favor and use Castrol 5w40 or Mobil 1 0w40 (both VW certified) or better. Small cost to maintain a significant investment. Ditto a quality synthetic filtration type filter like Mobil 1.

As to help for your questions, I may have to put all this in two posts as I'm limited to uploads in each. No matter. Here you go...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
More...

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info! Clears the picture as far as the oil pan but my "skid plate" looks like a modified "X" and covers the entire engine bay when looking up. I'm trying to find out what size these bolts are so I can take the plate off to get at the oil pan. Any info on that would be helpful 'cause I can't find that info anywhere.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,918 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Who carries the silicone sealant 176 501 A1 and is there an alternative? Can't find it surfing the net.
VW p/n. Despite what anyone says, silicone is not silicone. Low, medium, high modulous silicones, RTVs, etc, etc, all with different bonding properties and for different purposes. To confirm this statement, note the use and specification for two different silicones. Me, I'd buy the OE spec.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Thanks for the info! Clears the picture as far as the oil pan but my "skid plate" looks like a modified "X" and covers the entire engine bay when looking up. I'm trying to find out what size these bolts are so I can take the plate off to get at the oil pan. Any info on that would be helpful 'cause I can't find that info anywhere.
Looks like you have a Convertible. They have a steel skid plate for additional structual support. Takes some triple square tools to get that off. The link that was posted earlier should help a bunch!
Good Luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts