NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had posted earlier about my problem with an intermittent oil pressure warning triggered once for every 15 minutes or so of driving. The oil level was at the overfill line (bend in the dipstick), so my shop drained it to the high level of the hash marks. Unfortunately, the warning light/buzzer persists, so the shop checked oil pump and pressure at idle to high rpm and replaced the sensor and oil pickup tube. Pressure reads normal, no overheating symptoms, and no unusual engine sounds (IE knock, rattle, etc). After all this work done, the warning light/buzzer continues. So at this point to avoid incurring enormous hours of shop labor to troubleshoot what appears to be a glitch (perhaps even a bad ECM or ECU), but not a mechanical problem (as the car has been driven for months with this condition and no break-down), I will likely install a pressure gauge and disconnect the pressure warning light/buzzer. Can someone provide the best solution to disabling the oil pressure dummy light/buzzer in the meantime? I know the oil pressure sensor wires can be grounded, but is there simple method like a fuse that can be pulled or otherwise something else disconnected? Also, has anyone had this same problem successfully solved?
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I'd try grounding the oil pressure sensor wire and see if you still get the glitches. If so, there is a break in the wire somewhere or the problem is in the ECU. The buzzer is on a circuit board that is part of the instrument cluster

1 - 3 of 3 Posts