NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchased a 2002 Beetle with 2.0 and automatic. Noticed a whine and thought it was probably alternator bearing, water pump, timing belt or tensioner etc. Since the car has 97000 miles and probably never had the timing belt changed I got the kit from ECS tuning. Completed the job, carefully have checked the tensioner and it is right on.

I started the engine without the serpentine belt, so nothing like the alternor, A/C etc could be making noise. But there is still a rather loud whine which gets louder with engine speed.

I am pretty sure it is coming from the area of the crank sprocket. I am wondering if it could be the oil pump ?

Any ideas or suggestions at to what is going on ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
the belt, tensioner and water pump. Sorry, but not sure what you mean by the roller. So, maybe there is another part that I missed, I dont think there was a roller in the kit.

I hope it is something so simple, but it really does sound like the noise is coming from the crank area rather than the belt in general. It is a whine rather than a hum. And I believe it is the same noise that I noticed before starting this job. I thought the noise had to be the tensioner, the water pump or an accessory like the a/c or alternator. Accessory is eliminated as I have not put the serpentine back on.

I went out to garage and using a long handled screwdriver as a stethoscope checked for source of sound, I am positive it is not the tensioner itself making the noise. Not the water pump either, and no noise from the cam area. Definitely from the cranshaft area. Sounds more external, like the belt making noise on the sprocket. But it definitely could be internal. And very sure this is the same noise prior to the timing belt change.

Also checked the tensioner pointer with engine running and it is on the mark.

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
Sorry, it is only the TDI and 1.8t that has the roller.

Is this an automatic or manual? If it is a manual does the noise go away when you press on the clutch?

Does it do it all time, hot or cold?

Bme

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
Forgot to ask if you replaced the hydraulic part as well or just the tensioner roller? A timing belt will make a whine sound if it is too tight. I recently did mine and switched the the manual tensioner. I had it too tight and it made a whining sound. I adjusted it and it was gone.

It could be that the hyrdaulic arm is siezing? Just a guess. :confused:
These can be difficult because the noise can travel through other components. I have also heard Secondary Air Pumps make a whining noise at times. This would be when it is cold starting.

Hope you get it figured out soon.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi,

Thanks for trying to help out with this. It is an automatic and it is whining when both hot and cold engine. It is definitely coming from the bottom of engine near the crankshaft sprocket. Pretty sure it must be oil pump/chain/tensioner. The Bentley manual describes replacing oil pump, sounds very easy - just remove pan and a few bolts. I dont find the description on the tensioner. I suspect the sprocket, center bolt, and crankshaft seal need to be removed. And then there is a cover with looks like 6 bolts that would need to be removed.

Would be nice if the timing belt could be removed from the sprockets without actually having to take out the motor mount (new stretch bolts etc, and I wonder about repeatedly torquing into the threads of the mount).

Do you know, is it possible to remove the belt from sprockets and get it back on without removing the mounts ?

And how difficult/risky is it removing the center bolt and what tool is necessary to hold the crank in place while loosening the bolt ?

Looking online for this and dont find anything about how to replace the tensioner.

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
When I was a tech I would use a half inch impact gun to remove crank bolts.

Hopefully some else will chime in this weekend who may have experienced this problem. I don't remember many oil pumps going bad, but I did not experience many with over 100k miles.

Bme

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pretty sure the whine must be the oil pump, or possibly the chain/tensioner. Did more online research, what I find is that if it was the chain it might be a rattling noise. If the pump itself could be a whine. Think it is likely the pump which I think could be changed by just pulling the pan off.

I decided to change the oil and see if any difference, used 5w40 synthetic. That seemed to quite the whine down a bit.

SO, I put the serpentine belt on and the original sound is still there, more of a squeak and have pretty much isolated it to the a/c clutch. When the a/c is off, it squeaks. When a/c on the squeak vanishes.

So, at least the timing belt/water pump is replaced as it should be on a 10+ year old beetle with 97K miles. Frankly the whine from the pump is hardly there now.

So, only issue is the A/C clutch/bearing. Any idea how difficult it is, can it be done without removing the compressor from the car ?

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
Pretty sure the whine must be the oil pump, or possibly the chain/tensioner. Did more online research, what I find is that if it was the chain it might be a rattling noise. If the pump itself could be a whine. Think it is likely the pump which I think could be changed by just pulling the pan off.

I decided to change the oil and see if any difference, used 5w40 synthetic. That seemed to quite the whine down a bit.

SO, I put the serpentine belt on and the original sound is still there, more of a squeak and have pretty much isolated it to the a/c clutch. When the a/c is off, it squeaks. When a/c on the squeak vanishes.

So, at least the timing belt/water pump is replaced as it should be on a 10+ year old beetle with 97K miles. Frankly the whine from the pump is hardly there now.

So, only issue is the A/C clutch/bearing. Any idea how difficult it is, can it be done without removing the compressor from the car ?
Sorry for the delay. From what I remember the clutch is not usually sold as a solo unit on these and it is usually the whole compressor. You could spray a little lubricant in there and see what happens. The clutch is disengaged when the ac is off so it could be a bearing issue (complete guess). Also you may consider spraying some silicon lubricant on the serpentine belt as well.

Please keep us posted as to how it goes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts