NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been searching the net and newbeetle threads and can't seem to find answers so here go's; Does anybody know if removing the oil pump involves dealing with the Timing? what about the pick-up tube? Is there a DIY on replacing oil pump?
I was thinking of cleaning my oil pan & pickup tube on my next oil change interval, does anybody know if the oil pump needs cleaning too from past experience?
I know about the O-ring and sealant for the pan and the special angle tool for some of those screws.

MY car; 1.8T with 186k miles,
thanks folks :)

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
The 1.8t Beetle oil pan removal is really easy. I did not even bother with the oil pump, just the pickup.

If you are handy, once the car is up in the air on ramps and the engine cover is off, you can do the job in under 2 hours if you do not spend a lot of time cleaning the oil pan out.

You really do not need a special metric hex driver, it may make the job simpler. I used 1/4" socket set, a wobble extension and also used a 3/8" drive 7mm?? hex as well.

There are only 4 tricky bolts at the rear of the oil pan, I had read about them, you need make sure you can see them and DO NOT DROP a bolt in the bell housing, I dropped 1 but was able to use a magnet to get it without issue on an automatic.

I used the Permatex Black High temp as I recall, it skinned up nice and quick, no leaks.

Buy a new pickup and a new dipstick tube and dipstick. There is an O-ring for the pick up and the oil return.

As for timing, there is nothing to do with timing as I recall, the pump is chain driven as I recall, but I think you can easily change the pump as needed.

Before you tear the motor down, run about 500 miles on a can of SeaFoam in the oil, then you will hopefully have a lot less clean up.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey thanks folks i'll keep all this information in mind when I remove the pan. I was just wondering if removing the pump and cleaning was really necessarily. Looks like I'll be cleaning the pickup tube only. @sfoj By O-ring in the return, you meant the return tube for the turbo? the one mounted on the outside of the pan?

thanks for the link miss smileybug.Look's like I have some reading to do.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts