VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a quick search and did not find any on this regard (please keep in mind that i am at work :D)

We bought a 2007 vw beetle and had some questions about the oil...

What type of oil does it take? My wife went for an oil change and they said it takes synthetic (car did not come with manual, bought it used at 32000 miles) They wanted to charge her 142 at EZlube :( rip off...

How long should this car go before an oil change in terms of miles and time? I have a 08 civic si, and it has a meter for the oil... it says in the manual that i can keep my oil till the meter tells me to change it, which could be a year depending on my driving... can i assume the same with the beetle?

If the oil is synthetic... what weight should I use? and what filter?

Thanks everyone for your help...

·
Catch me riding s00ty!
3,981 Posts
I did a quick search and did not find any on this regard (please keep in mind that i am at work :D)

We bought a 2007 vw beetle and had some questions about the oil...

What type of oil does it take? My wife went for an oil change and they said it takes synthetic (car did not come with manual, bought it used at 32000 miles) They wanted to charge her 142 at EZlube :( rip off...

How long should this car go before an oil change in terms of miles and time? I have a 08 civic si, and it has a meter for the oil... it says in the manual that i can keep my oil till the meter tells me to change it, which could be a year depending on my driving... can i assume the same with the beetle?

If the oil is synthetic... what weight should I use? and what filter?

Thanks everyone for your help...
Yes, the 2.5 is synthetic. Any european blend oils should do the trick. THose should have the Vw 505.1 sticker on the back of it. Actually, i think Vw Dealers charge less than that shop.

If you can change it yourself, you can head over to Advance Autoparts, they're having a sale for $19.99. I think the usual weight is 0w20 or 5w30. Both Synthetic only.

·
Catch me riding s00ty!
3,981 Posts

·
USS ANNIEPRISE NCC 1701 A
4,148 Posts
That's what I'm doing. I had mine changed last June, it has done great. Fl Bug is right, be sure and check the manual and get the right oil. I won't wait till June though, I got 400 more miles to get to 5k. What I meant to say was, If I hadn't gotten to 5k, I would of changed it in May:)

·
5/23/10 <3
11,605 Posts
I do once a year or every 5k, whichever comes first. When I first got my car, I went to college and wasn't putting a lot of miles on it so every summer she got a change. Now its about twice a year because I'm hitting the 5k mark. Go full synth. I run 5w-40 in my 2.0. Just got a change 2 days ago while she was at the shop for her shift linkage :)

·
VW Junky
1,032 Posts
0-w40 is good stuff ;),the best if you ask me.

Lightweight,reaches moving parts faster on cold starts,stays a little thicker for those high rpms :)

That and a larger capacity filter and your good to go (270,xxx +,if you treat 'er right)

·
VW Junky
1,032 Posts
My personal fav,mobil 1,its about 13$ a pop,better filtration,no drainback,large capacity.

Its the cadillac of filters.

Bosch is good,fram isn't worth the cardboard its made from.you get what you pay for in the lube & filtration department.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.