VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently completed a front strut replacement on a 2006 2.5L Beetle. While under the car up around the passengers side on the lower area were the oil pan meets the block I found a area were the engine oil is seeping. It looks to be from an item that I do not know what it is for, maybe a lift area to remove engine, but after a little cleaning it looks to be the area in qestion.
Anyone know if there is a seal or gasket that may be the problem other than the corner of the oil pan or water pump gasket.
Picture is an 2.5 L engine from the web for reference.

Thanks much

Attachments

·
Registered
18,565 Posts
Probably, a good idea; to download the service manual, if you don't have one:

The 2.5L is known for oil leaks; in particular, from the vacuum pump and these leaks, tend to seem to seep down the engine, making pinpointing the source of the oil leaks a challenge.

The vacuum pump, can be resealed; using gasket kits from sources like RKXTech.

Good discussion about the leaks and kit install results:

The use of uv dye; might be helpful, in showing where the source of the oil leak is?

UV Oil Dye Leak Detection Kit

UV oil Dye

·
Registered
18,565 Posts

·
Registered
18,565 Posts
White Font Line Auto part Drawing

As noted, I would definitely check the valve cover gasket and vacuum pump first, for oil leaks. Aside, from that; looking at the engine block, in the area, in question... the front (#4) crank seal/cover, could also be a possibility?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good find Billy, I guess that is a lifting area and is not a removable item. I am wondering if that sealing bolt #15 maybe the problem as that is about the correct area of the seep. Not to sure what is seals but will take a closer look.
I did take a good look at the back side of the engine from top - down and the side as best as possible with a bright light and mirror and found nothing showing a trail of oil or any kind of a problem? So it has to be at the lower side some were. I do find that misty kind oil film on the underside area as the mist of oil when driving is landing on the inner axle shaft and pan, and other frame areas.
Item #4 also is a possibility and if so might be a mayor job to fix, just for a new gasket.
Today I will pull the wheel and get under the car and take another look as I cleaned it as best as possible the other day and we drove it for a few miles, maybe it will show a bit more detail of its origin.
As for the dye that is a good consideration and maybe the next step in tracking this down.
I will post as some pictures of what I find.
Thanks guys for the guidance.

Cheers

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Hi guys as said in my post I would post a few pictures of the area in qestion. We sprayed a bit of grease and oil remover on the area then washed it off then drove the car to the store which is about 8 miles round trip. As seen the oil did not wast any time finding its way out as a drip had accumulated fairly fast over night (no drip on the floor).
I was look hard at the crankcase cover edge but am not sold on that being the culprit yet. The mount in qestion has what appears to be two mounting bolts compared to the one Billy furnished in an illustration, maybe VW changed a few thing on different models, but I am not to sure if the oil is not coming from maybe one of them or the bolt seen at the bottom when viewed with the mirror. I not sure if it would be wise to remove any of the bolts as I an not real sure of what would happen as in disconcerting something internal in the engine.
Its such a tight area to think a dye test would do any good. Will try a clean up again and run for a mile to see if I can catch it just as it starts to weep out.
Also found this guy on the tube that did a seal change (not very serialized) but shows the underside of the cover. The mount must of been removed and just about the split of the engine the holes maybe open to oil not sure.
Cheers guys
Automotive tire Wheel Crankset Motor vehicle Bicycle chain
Automotive lighting Fluid Liquid Auto part Automotive tire
Liquid Automotive lighting Water Ice cube Fluid
Land vehicle Automotive parking light Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood

Attachments

·
Registered
18,565 Posts
Maybe, a bit tough to pinpoint; the source of the leak, you have the crank cover, oil pan, possible residual oil that is terribly common coming from the vacuum pump and then, other typical gaskets issues, like the valve cover as well. As noted, in the discussion I linked to above with the vacuum pump leak; he was having a tough time, even after installing the pump gaskets, for the residual oil drips to finally go away, as oil seems to pool up in different areas.

As to UV dye; its cheap and worth a try? It maybe a case, where the dye; can highlight the source of the leak, that maybe not obvious, from what you are seeing now?

Hopefully, you can nail this down soon; as noted, the 2.5L engine oil leaks we have heard about from members, seems to be primarily the notoriously leaky vacuum pump seal failure. Have you resealed or replaced the vacuum pump yet?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes pump did receive a new seal when we got the car and as said there is no signs of oil residue on the top or sides of the engine or anywhere near the pump. Today jacked up the car to get in for a better look and after a bit more cleaning away of the misted oil around the backside of the oil pan were it meets the engine I noticed a small maybe 1.5" - 2" wet area along the sealing of the pan. I am under the impression like most engines of today the crankcase is somewhat pressurized when running hence if you remove the oil cap while running the engine may or should stop. I am now thinking that this small area found at the back near the corner maybe the culprit were the oil is pressurized out (misting) and when driven on the road the wind or vortex is pushing the mist to the side were it maybe simulating a leak around the corner of the lower block. In an effort to reduce the vortex when driving a few miles I taped as best as possible over the area of the pans seal to see if the build up of oil is reduced in the corner bolt or ?. If so then a pan removal and cleaning and reinstall (sealing) will be the next step.
billymade that's all I can do for now other than a dye test you suggest witch I have not ruled out but I will see were this test goes in the next few miles.
I am trying to get this done before the winter months set (it's coming fast) in as I hate working in the cold.
Will let you know what I find, maybe this will be a help to others.

Cheers

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would conjecture the actual leak is from the oil cooler mounted behind the oil filter. It will run down the block and look like the leak you describe. If it is, change the whole assembly not just the seal. They get cracks in them you cannot readily see.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts