NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 1.8 T Sports Beetle. It has about 135k miles on it. I have been using Mobil 1 5w30 oil, but after viewing videos on YouTube comparing oil brands, it's made me want to switch.

I just wanted to know what VW's oil specs were for my car and what's the best kind of oil to use? I've heard Castrol Edge (Made in Germany) is what VW actually uses on their cars.

Any suggestions would be nice, thank you :)

·
5/23/10 <3
11,094 Posts

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
I have a 2001 1.8 T Sports Beetle. It has about 135k miles on it. I have been using Mobil 1 5w30 oil, but after viewing videos on YouTube comparing oil brands, it's made me want to switch.

I just wanted to know what VW's oil specs were for my car and what's the best kind of oil to use? I've heard Castrol Edge (Made in Germany) is what VW actually uses on their cars.

Any suggestions would be nice, thank you :)
Mobil One 0W40 is a VW spec oil and it's what I have been using in my Audi TT's and my New Beetle. Autozone has it usually on Sale every other month. This month it is $32.99 including 5 quarts of oil and a Mobil One Oil Filter. Oil prices are going up and at over 9 Dollars a quart and $12.99 for the Oil Filter the $32.99 is a bargain!
They have similar Sales on the Castrol Edge 5W40 European formula and I have tried it before. No real difference from what I can tell. Pep Boys has it currently on Sale for $40.00 bucks for 5 Quarts and a Bosch Oil filter. Those are the only 2 Oils I would recommend for the 1.8. Some have been running the Castrol 0W30 which is also a VW spec oil but I just don't feel that a 30weight oil is sufficient protection especially for an older, high mileage beetle.
Mobil One 5W30 definitely is not a VW certified oil and should not be used in your 1.8

·
VDub Noob
218 Posts
Since I do not have an owner's manual, can someone tell me what the recommended weight/viscosity I should use on my 02 TS? I know I should use only synthetic and a VW specified oil.

Sent from my ADR6350 using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
248 Posts
Since I do not have an owner's manual, can someone tell me what the recommended weight/viscosity I should use on my 02 TS? I know I should use only synthetic and a VW specified oil.

Sent from my ADR6350 using AutoGuide.com App
If I remember correctly, it says 5W40 in the owner's manual. I've been using
Mobil-1 0W40 which is full synthetic oil designed for european cars and also meet VW spec.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Per the owners manual VW recommends 5W-40 for all 1.8T motors, if 5W-40 is not available then 5W30 is the next option. The factory fill was Castrol 5W-40, If you don't wish to use Castrol the you are looking for a oil that meets VW Spec "VW 502.00"

Krash

·
All this & I can cook too
482 Posts
+1 for the Mobil 1 0W40

I use it as well - haven't had my Turbo Bug for long but so far it has worked well. I check the oil regularly and it is still clean looking after about 500 miles, and after the oil change I noticed a definite improvement in the acceleration, it's much more smooth and linear. I also took adavntage of the $32.99 Auto Zone special. I bought 10 quarts & 2 filters so if the price jacks up again (which it inevitably will ) I will be good for another oil change.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
If I remember correctly, it says 5W40 in the owner's manual. I've been using
Mobil-1 0W40 which is full synthetic oil designed for european cars and also meet VW spec.
X2 on the Mobil 1 0W40 European Formula. :bigthumb::bigthumb:

It is VW 502 and 505 Approved and works extremely well in all conditions.

Mobil 1 0W-40 is of the following builders approval:
MB-Approval 229.3
MB-Approval 229.5
BMW LONGLIFE OIL 01
VW 502 00
VW 505 00
PORSCHE A40

Autozone usually has it on Sale along with a Mobil 1 Oil filter for around 32 bucks. They switch on and off with Castrol. So one month they have Mobil 1 on Sale and the next month Castrol Edge. The price is usually the same. Both oils will work well with the 1.8 Beetle engine. Just use the one that you like. I personally prefer Mobil 1 but that is just me. Others may like Castrol better. Can't go wrong with either one. ;)

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Oil ?

My beetle seems to like this flavor; VALVOLINE 5W30, I try to keep her happy and hope she don't leave me stranded..LOL:D

2003 VW 1.8T, 167k miles.......

·
I'm not a dude.
1,230 Posts
I usually use Pentosin Pento High Performance II, or Motul. Because that's what the independent VW shop here sells. Both 5w40. I've never had any issues with either.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
I usually use Pentosin Pento High Performance II, or Motul. Because that's what the independent VW shop here sells. Both 5w40. I've never had any issues with either.
Both of those are "High End" type oils and cost about one third more than Mobil 1 and Castrol Edge. Only the best for your baby :p Anyone could be lucky to be reincarnated as your car :D

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
My beetle seems to like this flavor; VALVOLINE 5W30, I try to keep her happy and hope she don't leave me stranded..LOL:D

2003 VW 1.8T, 167k miles.......
I don't think it's nice to make your Beetle believe it's a Ford, Chevy or Chrysler product :p since those are the only ones that have the Approval for Valvoline 5W30:

ACEA A1
ACEA A5
ILSAC GF-5
dexos 1
Ford WSS-M2C945-A
Ford WSS-M2C946-A
Chrysler MS-6395
GM 6094M **
GM 4718M

I hope that Flavor your car likes is at least Synthetic ;)

Personally for an older car with that many miles a 40 weight oil would be preferrable. (5W40 or 0W40) Some guys in Europe even run a 60 weight oil in their 1.8's I think that is overkill but as long as they believe it protects their engines better that is all that matters. ;)

·
5/23/10 <3
11,094 Posts
I've run Castrol Syntec 5w40 in both my 2.0 and my 1.8T. Might try the Mobil 1 next time since its on special right now. I only buy Mann or Bosch filters for my car, so I doubt I'll use the oil filter, but its still a good deal...$32 for 5 quarts.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Anyone tried Royal Purple? I just sent an email off to their tech dept to find out if their oil is VW 502 approved.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
I've run Castrol Syntec 5w40 in both my 2.0 and my 1.8T. Might try the Mobil 1 next time since its on special right now. I only buy Mann or Bosch filters for my car, so I doubt I'll use the oil filter, but its still a good deal...$32 for 5 quarts.
You can always send the Mobil 1 Oil filter my way :D

·
Registered
303 Posts
No, None of the Royal Purple Oils meet VW 502 standards.
Well that sux.:( It sounds like good stuff from what I've heard/read too.

I have nothing but good things to say about Mobile 1 though

·
2,646 Posts
+1 for Mobil 1 0W40 and Autozone Sales--I usually buy 2-3 sets of oil and filters when I catch a sale. I run it 5K, drive 20K/year, my '03 GTI will be getting it's 120K change Saturday.:) Engine seems very happy and uses a barely perceptible amount in 5K-maybe 3 thimbles full.:lol:

I ran this in my '03 TS from first change up to 97K when I sold it--no issues at that point.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts