NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Send Money
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I give up. I'm trying to help my 11 year old solve a math problem.. It's actually got me stumped.

I have the numbers 8,8,4,9. I somehow need to use all the numbers and get them to equal 24. I can add, multiply, divide, or subtract. I can only each number once. Need some help please! THANKS

·
<-----No More Beetle :(
18,312 Posts
grrrr ya beat me to it!!!! lol :goodjob:

·
Send Money
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
73standard said:
8+4-9x8=24
THanks, but...

That is not the right answer.. the order of operations must be followed.

x,/,+.- with parentheses first.

8+4-9x8=8+4-(72)=(12)-72=-60 :)

·
Send Money
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
boblamb58 said:
THanks, but...

That is not the right answer.. the order of operations must be followed.

x,/,+.- with parentheses first.

8+4-9x8=8+4-(72)=(12)-72=-60 :)
Grrr.. I see what you are getting at...

(8+4-9)x8 = 24.

·
That Crazy Belgian Guy
2,816 Posts
Another one :

3 guys enter a hotel and go to the reception. They ask the price for a room, and it's 30$ for the room. The three pay each 10$.

When they went to their room, the man behind the desk saw that the price for a room was only 25$, so he sent the boy who carries the luggage to the room with the 5$.

The boy didn't know how to divide the 5$ in three, so he gave each man 1$ back, and kept 2$ for himself.

Now, as each guy got 1$ back, they paid each 9$ for the room, so that makes 27 $, the boy kept 2$ for himself

Where is that one dollar ???? :confused: :confused:

·
That Crazy Belgian Guy
2,816 Posts
Dede said:
You have to forget about the $30. After they each got $1 back, the room cost them $27 instead of the new price $25 since the boy kept $2.
:clap:

·
big poster turned lurker.
9,487 Posts
BeetleJuice said:
Another one :

3 guys enter a hotel and go to the reception. They ask the price for a room, and it's 30$ for the room. The three pay each 10$.

When they went to their room, the man behind the desk saw that the price for a room was only 25$, so he sent the boy who carries the luggage to the room with the 5$.

The boy didn't know how to divide the 5$ in three, so he gave each man 1$ back, and kept 2$ for himself.

Now, as each guy got 1$ back, they paid each 9$ for the room, so that makes 27 $, the boy kept 2$ for himself

Where is that one dollar ???? :confused: :confused:
The $1 went to me, bacuse I actually say here and thought about it for like 10 minutes. :crazy:

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
I have a headache. :crazy: :stupid:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Here's my favorite: Two teams race for time and miles per gallon. Pete's team drives the first half of the course at 30 mph, but has to drive the second half at 10 mph not to run out of gas. Lisa's team drives both halves at 20 mph. what is the result of the race?
a. Pete's team wins
b. the teams tie
c. Lisa's team wins

·
Premium Member
4,319 Posts
Mr B said:
Here's my favorite: Two teams race for time and miles per gallon. Pete's team drives the first half of the course at 30 mph, but has to drive the second half at 10 mph not to run out of gas. Lisa's team drives both halves at 20 mph. what is the result of the race?
a. Pete's team wins
b. the teams tie
c. Lisa's team wins
Lisa's team wins in 75% of his time. If the split was based on Time they would tie but based on distance she wins everytime.

·
Send Money
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mr B said:
a. Pete's team wins
b. the teams tie
c. Lisa's team wins
You sure you're not missing some info here? Like.. course length or whether or not they have the same vehicles? Or how long it took?

·
Premium Member
4,319 Posts
A car traveling due west on a straight road accelerates as described in the table below.
Interval.Time.Description of motion.
1)10.0s.Accelerates from rest at a constaant rate to 24.0m/s

2)10.0s,travels at a constant speed from the end of interval 1

3))5.0s, slows at a constant rate to a velocity of 10m/s

4)5.0s, Travels at a constant speed from the end of interval 3

5)2.0s, Rapidly slows to a stop.
A)What is the aceleration of the car during interval 1?

B)What is the acceleration of the car during interval 3?

C)What is the acceleration of the car during interval 5?

D)What is the total displacement of the car over all five intervals?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Time and distance don't matter. If the Petes car does half the course at 10 mph, a car doing 20 mph will go twice as far, or the whole course.

·
DIESL PWR
354 Posts
Oh, man, Tom, I remember getting questions like that years ago, but I completely forgot everything I learned. I think that was in calculus class. Can't remember anymore :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,319 Posts
ASurroca said:
Oh, man, Tom, I remember getting questions like that years ago, but I completely forgot everything I learned. I think that was in calculus class. Can't remember anymore :lol:
My wife is a physics teacher. I picked a question (from the last test she gave out) and posted it here. :D

Tom aka Fowvay

1 - 18 of 18 Posts