NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
I think there is one at a better price avail that is listed on this forum. owner is PCS ing to Germany and must sell

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Not for my money!

Craigslist???

But back to your question, not for my money, here's why...
  • Not a factory color. Complete repaint, and not a good one at that, and I'm sure only on the exposed surfaces. Looks like an amateur DIY! Note the lack of pics of engine compartment, door openings, trunk open shot. $$$$ to fix the paint, at least what they are asking for the car.
  • Lots of body mods and interior mods, and from the pics also not well done. Why a color change and the body mods? To hide or redo other damage?
  • Someone who invested in the mods and spent nothing doing the paint job is cutting all kinds of corners for "show". I would doubt there was money left to properly maintain the car.
I'll bet you work hard for your money! You can do a lot better than this for $4K Darlin'!

My 2¢!

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey thanks everyone! I was thinking the exact same thing about the paint job and the body mods. This is for my daughter and she was so hiped about the color/spoiler.
I did look at the carfax - it hadn't been in an accident ... but all the same, you guys are probably right. Thanks!

·
Registered
708 Posts
Not bad. Have them knock down the price, due to poor paint. Then, drive it for a while or go out and have it repainted , correctly, including jams.
From the pictures, it looks like poor prep work before they painted. And, they didn't use a flex agent in the paint. It's used to allow the paint to flex on plastic peices. If you don't use it, the paint will flake off, like in these pictures.

Cars like this one goes for $5k-$8k around here. Just depends on miles, what motor, and what options.

If you get it for $3500, paint it for $1500-$2000, I don't think you would get hurt. It has ground effects, rims, Turbo, low miles, clean interior, what more do you want!?!

Think positive! Your daughter likes it, and the color, too.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Listen up! Lots of dreamers around!

Hey thanks everyone! I was thinking the exact same thing about the paint job and the body mods. This is for my daughter and she was so hiped about the color/spoiler.
I did look at the carfax - it hadn't been in an accident ... but all the same, you guys are probably right. Thanks!
Don't trust the Carfax - Just not one that was reported. Trust me Darlin' you can do a lot better, and I don't think you can get a "good" paint job for $1k-$2k. A good job, esp color change, with all that is involved, is more like $4k-$5k. To do this one right, you're probably looking at stripping all that was done improperly or you will never get the paint to bond. Run, don't walk, away from this one!

Forget all the mods, she needs good looking but dependable transportation. And when you buy a car, you want the deal to be done, not just starting! Save that extra money for what will come along that will have to be done mechanically.

Unless you are an awfully talented DIYer, you can buy things already done for at least half of what you can get them done for.

You don't say where you are, but the car in question is at a dealer in VA, if that is of any indication, there are a lot of good, knowledgeable Orgers around you, esp to both the North and South of you who will be more than happy to help with your search. You're on the right track eyeballing that low mileage though, regardless of the nay-sayers who will post on this thread.

eBay is a good source and here is a link to search Craigslist nationally, even if you only want to consider cars closer by.
http://www.searchtempest.com/

MORAV

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
there is a few on Craigslist like the ones below that don't look as bad as the one with the $2 paint job.
J, Where are you finding a rattle can for $2 these days?
:roflmao:

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,854 Posts
Not bad. Have them knock down the price, due to poor paint. Then, drive it for a while or go out and have it repainted , correctly, including jams.
From the pictures, it looks like poor prep work before they painted. And, they didn't use a flex agent in the paint. It's used to allow the paint to flex on plastic peices. If you don't use it, the paint will flake off, like in these pictures.

Cars like this one goes for $5k-$8k around here. Just depends on miles, what motor, and what options.

If you get it for $3500, paint it for $1500-$2000, I don't think you would get hurt. It has ground effects, rims, Turbo, low miles, clean interior, what more do you want!?!

Think positive! Your daughter likes it, and the color, too.
Agreed on all points.

To also add and kinda piggy-back on what MORAV said, look into the cars history further and see if it was in a wreck- better safe than sorry.

After you dig around and find that it's wreck free, and their asking that price, I'd jump on it.. BUT FIRST, see if they'd be willing to shave a little more off that price; that beetle is soon in need of a timing belt/water pump replacement, which, if not DIY, can run you in excess of 800.00 at a reputable shop.

Keep us posted and all the best.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Nice Find!

Nice find. Nice looking. Low mileage. 2.0L Automatic. Silver -a top desireable color at resale. Decent price.

Your daughter doesn't need the Turbo or the additional associated maintenance costs, let alone another 20¢ to 30¢ a gallon for gas.

What ever you look at, ask us here, lots of good input.

MORAV

·
treiber gefunden
882 Posts
J, Where are you finding a rattle can for $2 these days?
I am gonna get my duppa kicked here one of these days and you are not helping roflmao

I don't think I would pay more than $2 for that paint job, and you're right a decent paint job won't cost you less than $4k unless you go to the paint isle at Walmart:D
As some one said to me when I was looking for my vert. "at that price... RUN FOOOOREST RUUUUUUUUN"

·
Registered
708 Posts
I don't know where you guys are coming up with a $4k-$5k paint jobs from. I paid $3000 to have the whole car repainted and replaced the bumper cover, new hood and removed all the dings(hail damage). They did a great job, and it looked like a new car. Remember, this car doesn't need body work, just paint repair. It's a compact car, not a 4 door dually.

Here's a idea, take the car for a test drive, stop at some good body shops and see how much they would charge to repair/repaint the car.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Right...

I don't know where you guys are coming up with a $4k-$5k paint jobs from. I paid $3000 to have the whole car repainted and replaced the bumper cover, new hood and removed all the dings(hail damage). They did a great job, and it looked like a new car. Remember, this car doesn't need body work, just paint repair. It's a compact car, not a 4 door dually.

Here's a idea, take the car for a test drive, stop at some good body shops and see how much they would charge to repair/repaint the car.
Sorry to differ, here you are talking not just a color change and all that is involved with that, but removing all the bad paint. You can't paint good paint over bad paint, and that is, either an unbelieveable amount of sanding (of course on this one a pressure washer might do it) or stripping, and when you strip you go all the way down, and then all the way back up. Now, if you've got a buddy doin' it on the side, sans paint both, etc. it might be a different story.

But the real point here is how much more car you could buy adding the paint thousands to the buying price, AND what shape would a car, with such a cheap deplorable paint job be in anyway. Kids do this kind of thing (i.e. did the mods but couldn't afford a real paint job), evrything about "show", and don't fix other things until they are completely broke.

I've got a Z28 parked right now with the same history, monster cables in the trunk, rattle can touch-up, $1200 to replace a belt tensioner because it was jury-rigged, f'ing up other things, and needing every seal in the drive train and all motor and tranny mounts replaced. Totally "beat". And it was "low" mileage. Had I seen the monster cables in the trunk before I bought the car I would have run, not walked, away! A kind of profiling, I guess. But usually real accurate.

MORAV

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Hi Lisa,

I know you've moved on from this one, but sometimes when these threads get rolling...

Good luck Darlin', keep us posted!

MORAV

·
treiber gefunden
882 Posts

IDK, it must be a state thing but in NJ you could not get a whole car (even a beetle) repainted, with a BN hood and hail damage repair for 3 grand and be happy with the end result. I am not saying you didn't, I am basing my opinion on how expensive things are where I live. Further more that paint has to be stripped to bare metal because even from the pictures is posible to tell it was not prepared right. I just paid 2 grand to prep and prime with PPG epoxi primer a 67 Chevrolet Camaro convertible, it is a classic, granted and the guy did a great job and very possible that was a big part of the reason why the car sold to the first person who looked at it a week or so after bringing it back from the shop. By the way, that camaro was far from a 4 door dually and that was only to get it ready to block and paint.

Now, there are paint jobs and there are paint jobs, and wether you are in NJ or elsewhere good quality does not come cheap.
She came here asking for an opinion and I am giving mine, same as you are giving yours. I haven't changed my opinion, even if it bothers or offends u in anyway though it was not my intention to offend anyone. I would never buy that car for my daughter and didn't really want to get into this but, a car that has had the body modified that way and painted in such horrible way (cheap) not knowing any of the history I would be too afraid that at least one of the PO's abused the heck out of it specially it being a turbo. Maybe not, it may be a great car with a horrible paint job but I wouldn't gamble my money that way nor would I advice a new buyer to do so either.
I honestly think she can do a lot better for $4k or better yet add say $1500 for the paint job to fix the "ocean blue"

·
Super Moderator
14,766 Posts
I'm glad to see you are steering away from that hidious blue one! :eek:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts