VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a used 2001 GLS beetle with 2.0 and 5 speed manual last week from a VW dealer in Orlando Florida. When I went to pick it up yesterday the "check engine" light was on. I drove to the service department and they told me that the car was sold "as is" and they had a print out that showed the car needed 4 spark plugs, new spark plug wires and a coil pack. They said for the low price of $873 they would replace those items. After talking to everyone at the dealer I was told there was nothing they could do to reduce the price. I got the service guy to throw in a new set of floor mats and he is going to order the parts. We got a ride to the dealer so we didn't have a car to drive the 125 miles home. He gave us a loaner for the 2 days it would take to repair the car. Does $873 seem like a lot of money to replace the plugs, plug wires and a coil pack?

Attachments

·
5/23/10 <3
11,412 Posts
That seems like a ton of money to me. This is a job you can do in a parking lot.

Also, what codes were thrown? Might not need all that done.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That seems like a ton of money to me. This is a job you can do in a parking lot.

Also, what codes were thrown? Might not need all that done.
I am 1,000 miles from home and do not have any tools with me. Plus my wife and I got a ride from Clearwater Florida to an Orlando VW dealer. When we got there the salesman told me the car was all ready to go. So our ride left and we drove the new beetle to a nearby gas station to fill the tank as the dealer had only filled it half full. As soon as we arrived at the nearest station I noticed that the check engine light was on. Then we drove back to the service department of the VW dealer.

I explained the problem and he pulled out a report on the car that said the car needed plugs, plug wires and a coil pack! There was no mention of that report when I bought the car the week before that. My wife and I were stuck in Orlando and had no way to get back to Clearwater which was 125 miles away.

The service man said he would change the plugs, plug wires and coil pack for $873 and he would give us a free rental car. I tried to get them to do the repairs at cost since I had purchased the car the week before. The salesman and service department guy said there was nothing that they could do about the price.

Two days after I picked the car up and drove it to Clearwater the check engine light came on again. I went to Auto Zone and the code was about the catalytic converter and I had it replaced. In the mean time the ABS light came on ane I had the wheel sensors tested and they were fine so I was told it was the main box on the ABS that needed to be replaced.

That night I searched for ABS on the New Beetle Forums and found out about the ABS wires and fuses on top of the battery! I checked the wires and removed and re installed the fuses. I got in the car and started it and lo and behold the ABS light did not come back on. I have driven about 100 miles since then and still no ABS light. And changing the converter fixed the check engine light.

Do you think that a complaint to the VW regional customer complaint office would do any good at this point?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,832 Posts
Stealership! Shame on them!

Complain away!!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
25 Posts
A call to them,a file opened at the BBB,and maybe an attorney sounds about right to me...man,I'm sorry to hear you're not the only one to be snookered by a dealer recently (long story,mine's mostly sorted now,wasn't a VW dealer).

At any rate,welcoem to here,my friend :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts