NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
slow car fast
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a 2000 NB TDI with low miles (80k) in October. I had a '98 a few years ago until I took a curve too fast.

I post to Fred's tdiclub.com for technical assistance, but those people are in LOVE with their sedans aka Jettas.

I don't drive sedans and a NB feels sporty enough to fit my needs. I also got 44 mpg on the last tank (b10 winter diesel).

Old new beetle ended up here.
A rain cell dumped right on top of a curve in a canyon. I didn't know there was standing water until I was right on top of it.

The curve was/is posted 40 mph. . . so I geared down one into 4th and hit it at 75. . . just like I had a dozen times before. Went over concrete barrier and rolled (tumbled?) about 150 ft.

The famous 'What is Handling' thread posted at Vortex and tdiclub describes exactly how an MKIV reacts on wet curves.

New Beetle here. It's really like new. Lived in a heated garage all these years and PO never drove it in snow. I'll take as good care of it as I can. At least I'll take very good care to keep rubber on the bottom.

NB 1.jpg
email1.jpg
email2.jpg

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
Hope you don't take that 40mph corner at 75 anymore! :eek: That pic says you rolled it! Your NB gave its life for you! :bowdown:

I really can't say much....My turbo takes corners great, but during rain, I am much more careful. Looks like you found a gem. Congrats! :party:

Welcome to the Org!

·
Beware-Blonde with Beetle
677 Posts
Welcome! I love your new NB - what a super find! Congrats!

Did you have any injuries (other than soreness, which I'm sure you were very sore afterwards) after your accident? Your Bug held up VERY well and kept you safe and sound!

Welcome to the Org!

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
F.a.D. That'll T-Cut out :p

I'm a bit of a manic TDi driver too. But when it rains i turn into
the Old Grandma, seen too many spills in rain.

Nice turn signals :cool:

:)

·
slow car fast
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, only a stupid person would take that curve at speed when wet. The deal was the road was NOT wet right up to the curve. The rain cell was highly localized.

If MORAV looks at this, the awful lexan fog light covers are clearly seen. The PO apparently didn't use the fogs and just wanted to save money.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts