NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day, and thanks for the "welcome". I am a GM guy at heart, but my daughter loves Beetles. So I got her one that I could afford. 2000 2.0 A.T. no frills, but fun to drive. It is very different for me, when working on it, but I'm learning. And my tool collection is growing in leaps and bounds! I'm sure I will be needing help along the way, and I will try to offer some too, as I have done some freakish repairs on it already (micro-switches in door latches, water pump, timing belt, axle shaft, lowering springs, etc.)Ya, I know, but the left front spring broke, so I thought, "what the heck?"
Thank you in advance, for the tips and tricks. Great website!

·
Apprentice Org-aholic!
1,470 Posts
You are in a good place. Its like Ace Hardware slogan, "The Helpful Place." Thats great news you took care of the timing belt and water pump. A transmission fluid change should also be done, VW's life time trans fluid is sketchy, especially since the O1M auto trans isnt the greatest.

All that aside, welcome, and dont forget to fill out your profile, and post some pics. We love pics! If you need help finding something out, let us know!!

·
T.O.D.7 Will U be there?
869 Posts
Good day, and thanks for the "welcome". I am a GM guy at heart, but my daughter loves Beetles. So I got her one that I could afford. 2000 2.0 A.T. no frills, but fun to drive. It is very different for me, when working on it, but I'm learning. And my tool collection is growing in leaps and bounds! I'm sure I will be needing help along the way, and I will try to offer some too, as I have done some freakish repairs on it already (micro-switches in door latches, water pump, timing belt, axle shaft, lowering springs, etc.)Ya, I know, but the left front spring broke, so I thought, "what the heck?"
Thank you in advance, for the tips and tricks. Great website!
WELCOME WELCOME WELCOME :D
Your daughter has GOOD taste in cars and will LOVE driving her new beetle. You are well on your way to getting that new beetle in tip top shape for the summer! WAY TO GO DAD!!!

Be SURE to fill in your CITY AND STATE in your profile...there may be some other orgers in YOUR area:).

Oh and.....post some pix--- WE LOVE TO SEE OTHER NEW BEETLES our orgers own.

Happy wrenching!
:banana:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for the warm welcome! This site is very cool, especially for a guy who, like me, knows his way around "Detroit iron", and feels kinda lost when I get deeper than the basics.

Here are a couple of pics. I DID flush the trans, as recommended. I used this fluid. At the store I work at, we have a BG Chemicals rep, and he highly recommended this stuff. It was really expensive, but cheaper that VW stuff. Works great! The only complaint that I have is that the transmission shifts somewhat irratically? I am used to GM where the trans shifts the same all of the time, and this thing is weird. Long delay going into reverse, lock-up comes on right after 2-3 shift, before 4th gear???? I spoke with a few other VW owners and they say theirs are the same as mine. No real pattern... Not bad, just different. Thanks again for everything!

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey there!

That's a pretty neat spoiler, did the bug come like that or was that something you added on after!

Eric
Thanks for the compliment. I found the spoiler in a local U-Pull-IT yard. I thought it added a nice look. They had another "hoop" style one too, but I liked the "table-top better. I plan to do a little paint work soon. Matte-black "running boards" (rockers), and a black roof. And a little orange here and there. I'm going for the old-style look with modern lines.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts