NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The handle has just broken off the head light assembly that you pull up to release the unit.

How the hell I'm I going to get that out to fix it!!

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
You are not along. Many people have problems with these, ask me how I know!!

The part is not too expensive as I recall, less than $15???

Not so hard to replace, I recall you just remove the headlight bucket/frame with 3 screws once the headlight is out and then install the new locking ring??

I recall there was a problem figuring out how to get the broken ring out due to the broke latch hanging on the frame, but got it sorted after playing with it.

Many people try to pry up on the release when you actually need to press the release down. Also sometimes the release will pop on top of the release frame and not allow the collar to rotate enough to release the headlight.

I have had to have the headlight bucket/frame out to replace the windshield washer pump as well, so I recall it is not too hard. 1/4" drive ratchet and sockets as I vaguely remember??

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply.

So, you can remove the frame and headlight together by removing the screws that old the frame in?

I haven't had a proper look as the light was fading, do will have a look tomorrow and call VW UK for a price.

·
Registered
14,057 Posts
Terribly common issue; this link below should help, there is a downloadable diy, about how to remove the broken catches! I try to keep my headlight catches lubricated and I make a point of being very gentle with them, when I press on the release plastic square. I have broken quite a few; as a matter of fact, I think I have lost count! LOL! Good luck!

http://newbeetle.org/forums/technical-how/18665-hello-heres-my-headlight-catch-how.html

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Terribly common issue; this link below should help, there is a downloadable diy, about how to remove the broken catches! I try to keep my headlight catches lubricated and I make a point of being very gentle with them, when I press on the release plastic square. I have broken quite a few; as a matter of fact, I think I have lost count! LOL! Good luck!

http://newbeetle.org/forums/technical-how/18665-hello-heres-my-headlight-catch-how.html
^^ I used this link to get my broken passenger side catch out. Once out, you just remove the old catch from the outside (where the headlight was) & replace with the new one. Pretty cheap at the dealerships and they ALWAYS have tons in stock because it's such a common problem.

Good Luck

·
I don't care.....
786 Posts
You can push the ring that hold the headlight in round with a screwdriver to release it.

As said above its 3 bolts and about 15 minutes to replace the locking ring.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts