NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
hatefixin
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i have a 99 beetle 2.0 manual 170,000 miles. heres the problem. When i turn the key the alarm goes off and the engine wont crank i changed the ignition circuit replaced the battery and had the alternator checked still does it..Before i replaced the battery the old one was dead so i tried jumping and nothing. so i took the ignition coil off and put it back on and tried jumping again and it worked the car started fine but the battery died again 3 days later so thats when i replaced it . could it be the ignition coil. please help a poor guy out...(Lord deliver me from bad German engineering)

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
I think the problem is that your car is not supposed to start if the alarm is going off. You need to figure out why the alarm is not being shut off as it should be when you unlock the car. The people here will need more specific information to be able to help you. Here are some questions that I can think of:

1. Did this happen suddenly while there were no other issues with your car, or was there some other problem that started at the same time?

2. Is the key you used to open the car the same one you always have been using, or is it new?

3. How many and what type of keys do you have for the car. Any with the remote lock/unlock?

4. Could you list the sequence of events with your batteries in chronological order?

5. Is your current problem with the keys, the battery or both?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
First 2 words that came to mind are Door Latches!

Try to get in the car without setting the alarm off and see if the car starts??

Roll window down and unlock car and try to start car through the window, not sure if the car pays attention to whether or not the door was opened, or go in via the passenger side and see what happens.

I agree, if alarm is going off, likely immobilizer will not disable.

The other thing you can try is to disconnect the battery for 30 minutes or overnight and see what happens?? Can't say is will help, but it I have seen other crazy issues that disconnecting the battery sorted.

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
I am thinking door latch as well. See if you can set the alarm with the door open, if you can it is probably bad. Also the light in the door will probably not come on when you open it, because the door thinks it is closed. Usually when this happens you can start the car within a certain time frame of unlocking, but it auto sets after so many seconds if the door is not open (or it thinks it never opened).

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
5/23/10 <3
11,071 Posts

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
Its a '99 so no immobilizer. That's all tied into the key.

I agree and say to look into your door locks.

VWVortex.com - MKIV door locks explained - why you're having problems!!! :(
Stupid door Switch!! $3 Fix!!! - TDIClub Forums
Just heads up on this link and repair. Radio shack has updated or changed something with the microswitch. It really has to be modified to fit. I spent an afternoon trying to repair and went through 2 or 3 switches from Radio Shack. I wound up just buying a used latch from eBay. It will take some patience, which I lack. I also just decided the savings to time ratio was not worth it, of course I have an extra latch now and will try again at a layer date.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Try opening the passenger door before opening the drivers door, then start the motor. My '98 did the same thing, the drivers door lock microswitch was broken, the car understood that the passenger door was opened and turned off the alarm.

·
hatefixin
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its the same key I've always used its a flip key with the lock unlock buttons on it but they have stopped working.

·
hatefixin
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
First 2 words that came to mind are Door Latches!

Try to get in the car without setting the alarm off and see if the car starts??

Roll window down and unlock car and try to start car through the window, not sure if the car pays attention to whether or not the door was opened, or go in via the passenger side and see what happens.

I agree, if alarm is going off, likely immobilizer will not disable.

The other thing you can try is to disconnect the battery for 30 minutes or overnight and see what happens?? Can't say is will help, but it I have seen other crazy issues that disconnecting the battery sorted.
The alarm doesn't go off when I open the door only when I turn the key

·
hatefixin
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Try opening the passenger door before opening the drivers door, then start the motor. My '98 did the same thing, the drivers door lock microswitch was broken, the car understood that the passenger door was opened and turned off the alarm.
Thank you I will try that

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
I don't know I will have to check next time I'm brave enough (I don't want to here that banshee alarm again)
Gotcha, well if it does not then your car still thinks the alarm is set and you will have to either open the passenger door as stated above or start it within so many seconds of disarming the alarm. I had to do that on mine before replacing the latch.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Gotcha, well if it does not then your car still thinks the alarm is set and you will have to either open the passenger door as stated above or start it within so many seconds of disarming the alarm. I had to do that on mine before replacing the latch.
Another thing to try might be twisting the key twice when opening the driver's door. This should cause the power locks to unlock both doors. I'm not sure of it but this may shut off the alarm as well.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,071 Posts
It will shut off the alarm, but if a door isn't opened (or the car doesn't think a door is opened) within 30 seconds, it will still re-arm.

·
Registered
874 Posts
If i remember correctly (sold the bug in '07) that didnt work on my '98 unless you put the key in the passenger door.

(((Im heading out to hug my '05 & '06.... keep those silly electrical gremlins away)))))

·
5/23/10 <3
11,071 Posts
No other NBs had a key slot in the passenger door besides the '98.

Disarming the alarm happens when the driver door is unlocked. Again, the alarm will still re-arm if a door doesn't open (or the car thinks a door doesn't open).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts