VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is in the wrong section, but I didn't know where to put it.

I am driving my '99 Beetle 2.0 GLS from Morro Bay to San Juan Capistrano, CA. The CEL came on when I got to Ventura, where I am now.

I stopped at a auto repair place and they put an OBD code reader on it, and it said code p1128 (too lean). That's the same code I got a couple of years ago, before I replaced the MAF sensor.

Anyway, my first question is: does anyone have a VAG-COM I could use? Anywhere between the Central Coast and LA/OC/IE would be great.

My next question is: is there any way to temporarily fix the problem so I can drive the car? I don't know it I should unplug the MAF, or if that would cause damage to the engine. I think I read once that it's OK to unplug the MAF, something about a default program kicks in to provide a relatively normal fuel/air mixture?

·
Registered
15,842 Posts
17536/P1128/004392 - Ross-Tech Wiki

The cars ecm; will protect the car from damage but your cat could get damaged, if you run it too long. There are allot of good VW repair shops in socal; I don't know if you are a diy person but 02 sensors/mafs are not too expensive and easy to replace. Most shops in SoCal are going to be over $100 an hour; so, buying parts and doing it yourself, could save you some serious cash. I would pick up a cheap vw scanner so you can scan things yourself. Amazon has cheap ones; for under $50. Depending on your travel situation; they can send it to you next day. Look on amazon; for vag 405 or the more current version vs450.

You can look for the correct BOSCH maf and 02 sensors, for you car here:

Bosch Vehicle Part Finder

Don't buy cheap junk parts; buy genuine Bosch and you will be rewarded will reliable and long lasting parts. You can get Bosch parts at Orielly's and Pep Boys in SoCal.

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
Welcome to the great and wonderful ORG! Many fantastic cars, people and answers lurk in this great land. If you haven't done so already, take time to fill in your profile and post a few photos so we can ORGle them!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts