NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Sarah'sBug
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter passed her driving test saturday. We have had her driving a lot and for the last month she has been learning the 5 speed in her New Beetle. She was back and forth with it and I was really getting concerned she would give up. Yesterday she took it around the block by herself. Today she asked if she could drive to tennis practice, about 5 miles round trip. She wanted to drive her brothers Capri because it is automatic. After I got over the thought of her driving by herself, I said she could take the Capri but had to practice the Beetle around the neighborhood some. She did, and when she got back she said she would drive her Beetle to practice.

Well she did and all went well,,whew:D,,I'm so glad, I guess she just needed to gain her confidence.

·
Old & New Beetles
2,244 Posts
Congratulations to her and also to you!
It is one kind of milestone, when child gets that licence ;)

Yeah, it is very good to let her drive (as much as possible).
I remember when I got my licence, my father let me drive every time, when we´re driving together. That way I got practice and gained confidence; He never drove; no matter how difficult the weather was. He guided me :) I still appreciate that!

Welcome to the org and greetings from Finland.

·
Super Moderator
14,718 Posts
It's a good thing that she can drive a stick. It's a good skill to have. The VW 5-speed is the easiest manual to drive, in my opinion.

Soon, it will be second nature to her, and she will be an expert. That, and she is driving a New Beetle! :party:

·
Im Just Me
135 Posts
On her own

That is so nice.Great for her.I oh so remember trying to teach my daughter how to drive a automatic lol.That must be why my hair is so short.I hope you enjoy this time with her ,I did .That is all i have left she was hit by a drunk driver back in 2001 and killed she was only 19 and the drunk driver took off and they have never found the person.So enjoy the time you have with her you never know when it will end.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Good for her!! My daughter did the same last year. Lots of worry, lots of pride. My daughter learned how to drive a 5 speed, change fuses, tires, wiper blades and understands the need for regular maintainence on cars. Impressed the heck out of the boys at school when she changed a fuse in the school parking lot in her first ride, a 1991 Merc Capri.:cool:

·
Sarah'sBug
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for the nice replies!

At Matt423, I am very sorry for your loss. This is every parents nightmare and one of life's circumstances that makes no sense. May God Bless you and your family.

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
At Matt423, I am very sorry for your loss. This is every parents nightmare and one of life's circumstances that makes no sense. May God Bless you and your family.
X10......there are not enough words that can express my sympathy.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,972 Posts
What year is the Capri? I grew up riding around in an '84 :). I actually was slightly bummed that my mom traded that in to get my NB...I really wanted to drive it once I got my license!

Good that she can drive stick from the get-go. I drove an auto until I got my NB so I was driving for 2 years on an auto. It was a slightly rough start learning on the stick, but now I'll never look back. Its a great skill to have!

·
Sarah'sBug
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Capri is a 1991 convertible. This is the one with a 4 cyl, made in Austrailia. It was a great find that I lucked into for my son. The car had 27000 miles on it and 10000 were put on by the 2nd owner in the year before I purchased it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts