VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
I still want a beetle!!!
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been on the forum for a couple months now and i'm really enjoying it. I don't have my NBC yet, so i'm not officially a New Member yet, but one day I will be.

This is what i'm looking at getting:

Which is why my screen name is TatorTot. The colors I want remind me of a big tatortot. I usually burn one side of them, so since i want a black roof...thought the name fit perfectly.

The closest I've been to owning a NBC is a 24 hour test drive the dealership let me do.....I loved it. The neighbors thought I was crazy for driving around with the top down:

For now I drive a Passat which I'll keep because I have 2 retired greyhounds that like to drive around...plus the car's paid off and i still love it. Here's my Passat on a visit to the dealership to visit her new little sister that's up for adoption..hope she goes to a good home:

I'd get the beetle now but I just moved from the hectic area of northern VA down to the slow paced beach life of Wilmington, NC. Once the VA house sells....i'm off to the dealership!!

I also have a bus that one day will get restored. It's a 78 Westy that's just waiting to drive (well...pushed is more like it)4 blocks away to the mechanic that works on old air-cooled VWs. But, the bus has to wait till the house is done..which you can see in the background is being renovated. It was built in 1916 and we were shocked it hadn't burnt down by now, so hopefully this summer or fall it'll have a re-birthday:

I have a whole thread about the house (http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2151636) on the Vortex about it. I've been on there for a few years from back when I owned this:

So...that's me!!!

Can't wait till my TatorTot can come home and park in the driveway, but until then I'll be enjoying this site and learning as much as I can from everyone here.

Thanks!!!!

Andy..

:)

·
So over it!
8,050 Posts
Great Story!!

Great name for a nbc, dont worry about driving with your top down, on a cold day. I always drive with my sunroof open, on ugly days.

Hang in there, your day will come soon!!:)

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Hey Andy! You should come to some of the NCVW.org/NCDUBS.com events! Sign up for the local boards -- we do a Feb Fling each year and most go to H2O/Waterfest/etc in a group. I like your Passat... you'll have a 'vert in no time. Just wait!

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
TatorTot said:
The neighbors thought I was crazy for driving around with the top down
Let 'em ;) They'll still think the same thing when you're driving TatorTot.... with the top down... in the winter. Trust me.

Well... future congratulations... and welcome to the org.

(and lemme just say 24 hour test drives are the coolest things ever!)

·
Super Moderator
14,802 Posts
I don't think you're crazy. For my hubby and me, all that's required for "top-down" is SUN!! :D They make hats and scarves, don't they? ;)

I love your Dub story, and welcome you to the Org! :wave2:

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Interior noise!

Do you know that the interior decible level of the NBC with the top up is lower than the NB hard top decible level?

Little known fact.

Of course that's with the monsoon off!

·
I still want a beetle!!!
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone!!

Luckily winters here in NC aren't as bad as VA so i'm sure i'll get less weird looks....plus people here are also nicer than in northern VA (sorry to anyone on here from NoVA - you'd be the exceptions)

kcfoxie...i'll definitly check out those clubs. there's a club here in Wilmington for buses that i'm trying to check out but always open to checking out what's around. i used to be a member of ClubH20 but never went to any events and was a member of RawNRG for maybe a week (long enough to design their website) but not long enough to hang out with them to get to know them..don't even think i paid dues before they dissapeared.

yellowherbie....yeah, the house is taking forever. what sucks is in March we finally moved down here permanently (before that we were driving down every weekend to check on the house) and living across the street from it and seeing nothing get done. hopefully in the next month or two i should be able to update it with alot of new photos.

dnyed...not sure if you remember me, but you're the one that told me to join this site and check it out even if i didn't have my beetle yet....thanks for that recommendation. i think i check this site now more than the vortex...definitely a good thing!!

:D

·
Green Turbo Beetle
98 Posts
Welcome to the Forum Andy and Congrats on the re-birth of your home,nice.. and ofcourse like everyone said, not to worry, you will have that NBC one day :D

·
I still want a beetle!!!
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Billsbug said:
That Mark III Jetta looked sweet! ;)
Thanks...i didn't really appreciate it when i had it. spent alot of money on it, but i was younger and foolish so it's to be expected. As soon as I got the suspension done someone backed into me in a parking lot. I took the rear bumper off to rehang and discovered that before i owned it, it had been hit before and there was a huge rust spot. I tried to fix it the best i could and then one day helping a friend of mine buy her Cabrio, this Passat wagon with every option i wanted (white on black leather) pulled up behind her to be traded in...so i had the sales guy sell it to me. The Jetta had to go. Besides the bumper issue, the window regulators were going, leaks in the engine here and there...so I said "good bye" and jumped into the Passat before it was too late. I miss the Jetta, even had thoughts of buying another one....but nope, the NBC will be my next car.

·
I still want a beetle!!!
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Billsbug said:
Click on my signature cuz 'Verts rule, tintops drool.'-Billsbug :cool:
Beautiful...just beautiful. I love black cars but told myself I'd never own another...so i'll just look at photos of your's!!

:)

·
I still want a beetle!!!
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I sooo want this car:

the blue one in the background is my 2nd choice...but then i'd have to change my screen name:

·
I still want a beetle!!!
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
OK..i'm up in VA for work so i stopped by the dealership (same one photos above were from - mine in Wilmington doesn't seem to have much), and was checking out what they had NBC wise.

Didn't see much but noticed a section of their parking lot that looked like a truck had just dropped off a bunch of new cars...and in the back i see a black roof and notice it's HM...yey!!!! Of course I thought...bet it has beige interior like all the others I've come across (i really want black).

Got a little closer:

hmm....looks like it has black interior..yey!!!!!

But....it was automatic....poop! I did think it was cool that they hadn't put the front plate on yet. My sales lady friend that works at this dealership told me if I buy from her she'll make sure that when it comes they won't put the front plate holder on for me...since NC doesn't require them.

So, if I was ready to buy...i think i could have been talked into this one...but i really want a manual w/o XM or Sirius. But, so far this is the closest colorwise I've seen to what I want....there does seem to be more HM/beige combos out there.

So since I can't buy a new car yet I went to the toy store and found these to add to my collection.

I'd normally keep the RC car in the box...but I really wanted to play with it so I broke my collection rule and charged it up and sat in the driveway playing with it. Sooo much fun!!

·
I still want a beetle!!!
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm back...I think!! :)

My partner finally has a job, our house is finally on it's way to being done, we have a renter in our VA house that never sold, and all the other things in life seem to be going from negative to positive...so I think i'm back.

I was at the dealer the other day and saw 6 triple white verts and wanted to buy all 6, but then remembered I can't even afford to buy 1. Heck, can't afford to even buy the floormats. But hopefully soon that'll change.

Hopefully soon (maybe next year or two) I'll be able to start shopping around for my Beetle. :)

Miss everyone and sorry I dissapeared!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts