NewBeetle.org Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am afraid to change mine (99). when i started it last week & turned on the air, some pc of what looked like insulation came out of the dash and when i went to pick it up it crumbled.

·
Registered
149 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wow, you do find some strange stuff in there

Hello everyone, new member here. Been reading the forums for awhile and I am thankful for the wealth of information that has been posted.

Came across this feed and I just had to post what I found on the top of my cabin filter...about 2 lbs of dog food. WTH? I can't even fathom how it got there, but hopefully that being gone will help with the stinky vent disorder.

Good luck to all of you and Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there.

Attachments

·
Beetle gone bye bye.
482 Posts
I have been putting this off because it looks like a bear to get to.lol mine is a 2003, and im a betting it hasnt been done either. Since I want to paint a few dash pieces I may attempt this when I work up the motivation.lol
I just did mine today. Followed the instructions on this link:
http://newbeetle.org/forums/technical-how/37740-how-cabin-air-filter-replacement.html.
Took me about 40 minutes and was really quite easy. Didn't find any like dog food..lol..just a lot of leaves and such. The filter itself was disgustingly dirty though. I am glad I finally got time to change it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
That's another bad design of VW. You should never put something that needs cleaning so hard to reach. At least they should have put a net to prevent large debris from coming in there.

Anyway, the foam that you see in the picture is insulated foam broken apart, another bad design, mine was also like that. How can I replace this part?

·
Oberfahrerführer
4 Posts
Did my 99 last week. It was disgusting. Apparently, there is supposed to be a screen up under the cowl. Leaves, crap and there had been a mouse nest under the hood with a bunch of the insulation from in dash. Hour or so's work.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts