VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Yay Yellow
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I got it a couple years ago, my '03 bug came with 2 keys, one switchblade type and one valet key. I got an extra remote for the valet key and that works fine.

The strange thing is, about a third of the time, when I turn off the car and take the switchblade key out of the ignition, the car immediately turns off the inside lights and arms the alarm. If I don't realize it and don't push the unlock button on the remote, the alarm goes off when I get out of the car. This never happens with the other key.:confused:

I figured this out pretty soon after getting the car, so I usually use the valet key/extra remote combo. I needed to use my spare key a couple days ago, and I forgot and set off the alarm in a parking lot again. It's not a disaster, since I have the valet key that works, but it is irritating. Otherwise, the switchblade key is fine.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Well, there could be something specifically; wrong with that particular key fob. It would be interesting; to see, what sort of trouble codes you are getting when you use it (you would probably need a vw specific scan tool; to read immobilizer/key fob codes). Here is a page; that explains, how the immobilizer and key fob work:

Immobilizer FAQ and troubleshooting for VW and Audi, with key replacement tips | VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze diesel forum

Key and remote replacement and troubleshooting: mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat | VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze diesel forum

It is possible; that the board, inside the key fob is bad, the RFID immobilizer chip/pill is a problem or something related to the programming is goofy on that particular key. If that is the case; you can buy a new board or , on fixmyvw.com

http://www.fixmyvw.com/vw-key-fob-programming-guide/

Sometimes; when, the door lock module fails, the alarm will go off and other odd things will happen. That theory; however, doesn't follow, your "only one" key fob problem, that you are referring to.

Again, a scan; may reveal, some good info to help you diagnose the issue with that particular key/fob.

·
Yay Yellow
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, that's a lot of really good information! It's weird that's it's only when I use one key. The first link seems to say the immobilizer system doesn't deal with the alarm, and I haven't so far had any problems with the car shutting off or any dash lights with either key. I don't have a way to check for specialized codes, but I'm guessing the chip part of the key is working for now.

Looking at the breakdown of the parts of the keyfob, I remember buying the spare remote and programing it to go along with my valet key. Maybe something is wrong with the board inside that part of the switchblade keyfob, and the lock button is shorting out and arming the alarm or something? I think I'll try replacing the remote half and see if that helps. Thanks again.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
So, the remote you are having problems with; is a replacement key fob? Where did you buy it and does it look like any other key fobs you purchased? There are different key fobs; I wonder, if your isn't compatible some how? Some have said; the part numbers; need to match, for them to be correct. Let us know, how things turn out.. as you move forward in your troubleshooting and repair process.

·
Yay Yellow
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The switchblade key that's the problem is likely the original. The remote and key combo that works well has a replacement used remote that I bought to match the one I had.

What I've done now is I bought another used remote half of a keyfob and programmed it. I replaced the remote part of my existing switchblade key with this 'new' remote. So far it's been working correctly for a couple days and I'm keeping my fingers crossed. If it ends up being fixed I'll be happy since it was cheap and easy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts