NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
I dig German cars.
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello forum members.....

Let me get right into this.... I own a 2002 New Beetle Turbo S. It's never been shy of giving me little finicky, annoying mechanical issues from time to time. I bought it used in 2005. (w/low miles) I've always loved the car because I dig VW's.. but the issues have always been a thorn in my side and have caused me to actually go thru periods of wanting to put it in drive and let it drive itself off of a cliff! Today, it broke down on me..On a busy LA city street. (last time this happened on a busy CA freeway) Both were HORRIBLE experiences because people here don't care about others. Especially when you need help. I pushed the car up a hill thru the intersection into a business parking lot and called AAA. They towed it to the mechanic...he diagnosed it, the bomb got dropped on me and blew me to smithereens... I BLEW MY HEAD GASKET. FOR THE 2ND time on this car. 1st time was the freeway experience several years ago. He suggested that I look for a new engine. I know NOTHING about searching for a new engine, how much it should cost, nor what I should be looking for. So... I really need help. Is there anyone here who is well versed with SoCal/Los Angeles and places that I could possibly find an engine or a mechanic who may have an inside lead on this type of thing?

I'm aware that I wrote a lot but, please reply and help. This is my last resort... If I don't end up getting the info that I need, I think I'm gonna scrap this car. TOO much headache. I appreciate any and all suggestions in advance.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
It sounds like you've got a great opportunity to search local ads. There are a lot of posts here about engine transformations and replacement head gaskets. Good luck - wish you well!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm really no expert on engines and I wouldn't know exactly what to look for (I'm sure others here can advise you on that) but a lot of my friends source new engines on eBay.
Sorry I can't help more and good luck!

·
Registered
11,575 Posts
There are many; good vw tuning and repair shops in southern California, where specifically do you live or where is the car at?

A quick search reveals:

From a vw dealer: straight from Volkswagen, crate motors from the parts dept: This would be a ball park; plus, tax, core charges etc. Obviously, there would be other parts you would probably need once its out; clutch, hoses, hardware, fluids, turbo, etc.

a long block: $2,836.50

a short block: $2,211.56

(I don't know if this is your specific engine code (AWP) but a call with your VIN # would confirm the price.)

(I got these prices above; from www.1stvwparts.com; you may be able to find a better price somewhere else.)

The assumption would be; that this would be the most expensive route to go, so that could give you a baseline cost for a new engine. When it comes to a third party rebuilt unit; it might be lower. You might look at the details of what the warranty is and what the cost from VW will get you for your money.

The other options; are to repair the engine that is in the car (you haven't had good luck with that) or get a used motor (no guarantees). I don't know where you had the head gasket repair done but it doesn't sound like the did the work correctly; a shop that specializes in VW's or European imports, should be able to do these type of repairs successfully and have the repair last. You might contact that shop that did the work and see what if anything that they can do for you; at least you could see what your options are. You may not want to go back there; considering what happened with your last repair! Check out your options.

Let us know where you are in SoCal; there are quite a few well known shops that could do the work. Hope this helps and give us a sense of what you are willing to spend to get your turbo s back on the road; also, how long do you want to keep the car? :confused: Major repairs at this point in the cars life; call into question, the cost effectiveness of the repairs and you need to figure out that as well (potentially more then the car is worth; especially, with labor rates in California!). All of these issues; factor into what you might do next; repair/cost wise. On the other hand; considering your experiences and frustrations with the car in the past; it might be time to move on to something newer and more reliable. We all love our VWs but they can and do require allot of time, money, and work to keep them on the road. I know; I have the same exact car as you (2002 new beetle turbo s, 71k at the moment). Also, tell us about your life situation at this point and what your needs are; are you still willing to deal with a VW, do you want just transpo that is just reliable and get you from a to be? A car @ potentially over 100k and 11 years old; certainly has done its job for quite awhile and will require more, more repairs (in addition to the engine) to keep on the road! :) VWs are something of a dysfunctional relationship/love affair but to maintain the relationship can be costly! :)

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
Don't drive it off a cliff. :(

Even if you don't want it anymore, part it out. :(:(

·
I dig German cars.
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow billymade, you just said a mouthful! But, this is exactly what I needed to hear. At this point i'm sitting on top of the fence looking down at one side... then down at the other.. and repeat! lol For some reason, I feel that this is the end of our (Turbo S + Me) love affair. Where I'm at in life right now is: I could do more work and get more done (in my business) with a 'reliable' car, not a car that I need to be spending incredible money on to keep mechanically sound....and it's letting me down on SUPER BUSY Cali roads/streets. I've done that for too many years already. You're right... The car is 11 years old with a head that's been repaired before and failed. The shop that I got the work done at has gone out of business.....or moved locations.. They are not an option at this junction. I think it's time to send it to the graveyard. Does anyone wanna buy a cool Turbo S body?? :>/ Maybe I can find a junkyard to sell it to....I have no idea how that works... but I need to get it away from the business that diagnosed my problem on yesterday. Their policy is 48hr storage.. Then they have to get rid of your car. It hasn't been 24 just yet but, i'm moving as quickly as I can to find a solution for this. Truthfully, I don't have the money to shell out upwards of $2500 in one shot. That's ridiculous.... This car isn't nearly worth it. So... I don't know. I'm gonna keep researching and calling until I find a solution. BIG thanks billymade! & if you have any other info that you think may help me, please don't hesitate to note that. Oh! (b4 I forget) I'm in the Inglewood/LAX area. :>)

·
I dig German cars.
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Soooo....dnyed, How do I 'part' it out? I know NOTHING about this side of the auto world. I don't have a place to store a broken down car that I'm parting out..... My building manager would just get it towed away from the property. That would be comparable to driving it off of a cliff....lol Any suggestions? :>/

·
I dig German cars.
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are my replies getting to you?

I haven't been on this site in a while.... I'm not sure if I'm utilizing it correctly.. Am I replying in a way that the message gets back to the writer or am I talking to myself..? This isn't Facebook...or Twitter where you know the reply is going DIRECTLY to the person that you're shooting for... I just want to be sure that there is a flow of communication and that I'm not hindering that. Thanks! :confused:

·
Registered
11,575 Posts
You're fine this is a message board and your posts and other members replies are working fine! :) Everything here is public and can be seen and interacted with by everyonew who is a member here!. :)

·
I dig German cars.
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I really feel for ya. I'm sorry to hear about your TurboS. My beetle is down too- transmission failure.

So what did you decide to do?

I'm still trying to figure it out... I spoke with a mechanic about the possible repair of the car and how much he'd do it for. (he's trying to help me as much as he can..) Now awaiting his return call.

Sorry to hear about your VeeDub... These cars.. I tell ya.. *sigh*

·
Registered
11,575 Posts
Please keep us in the loop; as things progress, we will help as much as possible! :) Definitely tell us what the mechanic has to say and what kind of prices he tells you. I have had major failures on my turbo s as well; its not fun and very frustrating, depressing at times! Ugh! Just know; you are not alone with beetle "issues"... :( hopefully; we can be a "new beetle support group"; of sorts! We are all in this together! :)

·
squirreljuice
388 Posts
If you need a block or a head or a crank, let me know. I have them just sitting around. I was gonna build a monster 1.8t, but i'm now looking into a VR6 swap. And to part something out is to basically just tear the car apart and sell as many parts as you can.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Good luck whatever you decide to do. If VW is in your blood you won't be happy with anything else though. If you have a reliable mechanic and you can swing it do it, but 2500 is a decent down payment on a new or newer one.

·
I dig German cars.
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
2002 New Beetle Turbo S *Update*

Welp! I've had the car parked for nearly a year now. Maybe I was thinking some cash was gonna miraculously fall out of the sky and crack me in the head..... The 'best' price that I've been able to find for this repair has been $1800.00... I feel like I'm now closer than ever to selling it. It won't be repaired prior to selling it. (if that's what I ultimately decide to do with it)If I had the $$ for a new engine, I'd make it happen in a heartbeat. But... I'll probably sell as is to the highest bidder. Who wants it? lol Would it even be a possibility to trade even though it isn't running?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts