NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
99 NewBeetle 2.0 liter, Bridgestone Blizzak 205/55R16 snow tires, 5 speed manual transmission, 5200RPM in 5th gear, RedLine at 6500RPM, plenty of gas pedal left; and only 110MPH with the pedal-to-the-metal for over a minute.

With that much RPM left, I should have reached 120MPH or better.

What has VW done to the computer to limit the top speed to 110MPH? Is there a reprogram for the computer or a different computer chip that will allow a better top speed?

Thanks All,
Stephen.

PS: The Bridgestone Blizzak snow tires are the best tires I've found for traction and traction control, on any surface. I lose a little on the miles per gallon, but the improved safety and control of the car is well worth the extra expense in tires and gas.

·
Registered
475 Posts
99 NewBeetle 2.0 liter, Bridgestone Blizzak 205/55R16 snow tires, 5 speed manual transmission, 5200RPM in 5th gear, RedLine at 6500RPM, plenty of gas pedal left; and only 110MPH with the pedal-to-the-metal for over a minute.

With that much RPM left, I should have reached 120MPH or better.

What has VW done to the computer to limit the top speed to 110MPH? Is there a reprogram for the computer or a different computer chip that will allow a better top speed?

Thanks All,
Stephen.

PS: The Bridgestone Blizzak snow tires are the best tires I've found for traction and traction control, on any surface. I lose a little on the miles per gallon, but the improved safety and control of the car is well worth the extra expense in tires and gas.

You need to get a tune to remove the top speed limiter. See United Motorsport Jeff Atwood! He's all over the vortex.

·
Jitterbug
1,086 Posts
and are your snow tyres suitable/rated for that speed???

Not every car can reach max rpm in top gear, its a bit of a silly thing to allow (by design), really as next thing you know max rpm is exceeded (eg when going downhill)....and there is a good reason for max rpm...

·
Registered
867 Posts
The 2.0 with a 5spd should be able to get upto 123mph, there is no limiter(1.8t's have a limiter at 130). Be careful with the Blizzaks they are not designed for use over 50 degrees. They also wear extremely fast at summer temperatures.

·
The skinny kid
39 Posts
Your snow tires are probably not rated for that speed. So you shouldn't try that again on snows. They will also slow your top speed down because of more friction, hence the loss of gas mileage.
My '03 2.0 5-speed managed to hit 118 and would hold it there unless I hit some nasty head wind or I came upon an incline. It would take a while to get there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Good comment about the speed rating on the Blizzak tires.

So I looked them up again.

Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 (Studless Ice and Snow)

Size: 205/55R16

Sidewall Style: Blackwall

Serv. Desc: 91T

Looking up 91T yields:

Load Index 91: 1356 pounds or 615 kilograms (I'm assuming that means per tire maximum load of 1356 pounds.)

Speed Rating T: 118mph or 190kph

So I'm within speed rating for track testing.

I guess the engineer in me wants to know what are the minimum and maximum capabilites of this car. I'm not a mechanic but a rider (motorcycle) and driver (New Beetle). I want to know exactly what to expect with my machines if things get dicey. Can I brake to get out of trouble? Can I accelerate to get out of trouble? Do I have the handling and suspension to get out of trouble? And when that drunk driver is coming up behind me, how can I get away from him?

Which is why I also have the entire engine compartment protected with Panzer skid plates by Dieselgeek. If I get boxed in on the interstate and have to run over that road debris, I expect to bounce right over it and keep on motoring.

Thanks for the replies,
Stephen.

·
Probably MIA
2,799 Posts
110 mph (and want to go faster) on snow tires in the middle of July. Are you shooting for the Darwin award or what?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
110 mph (and want to go faster) on snow tires in the middle of July. Are you shooting for the Darwin award or what?
I don't understand the concern about running studless snow tires in the summer, or year-round for that matter.

I've been on snow tires for the automobile year-round since 1972. Where I was raised in the backwaters, slews, and bayous of the Mississippi river driving on grown over dirt tracks, you never knew when you would hit a wet spot and need the extra traction of the snow tires; especially with a rear-wheel drive auto without a limited slip differential. You get one tire spinning in those conditions, and you're hiking miles trying to find a farmer with a tractor willing to pull you out.

Plus, I don't drive an auto more than 7,000 miles in a year. So I'm not concerned about the shorter tire life.

Best,
Stephen.

·
Super smart senior member
857 Posts
The problem about tire ratings is they aren't regulated and are for the most part made up by the company, a 120 mph tire for company X might be a 80mph tire for company Y. The ratings are usually estimated for PERFECT conditions.

·
The skinny kid
39 Posts
Good comment about the speed rating on the Blizzak tires.

So I looked them up again.

Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 (Studless Ice and Snow)

Size: 205/55R16

Sidewall Style: Blackwall

Serv. Desc: 91T

Looking up 91T yields:

Load Index 91: 1356 pounds or 615 kilograms (I'm assuming that means per tire maximum load of 1356 pounds.)

Speed Rating T: 118mph or 190kph

So I'm within speed rating for track testing.

I guess the engineer in me wants to know what are the minimum and maximum capabilites of this car. I'm not a mechanic but a rider (motorcycle) and driver (New Beetle). I want to know exactly what to expect with my machines if things get dicey. Can I brake to get out of trouble? Can I accelerate to get out of trouble? Do I have the handling and suspension to get out of trouble? And when that drunk driver is coming up behind me, how can I get away from him?

Which is why I also have the entire engine compartment protected with Panzer skid plates by Dieselgeek. If I get boxed in on the interstate and have to run over that road debris, I expect to bounce right over it and keep on motoring.

Thanks for the replies,
Stephen.
I understand your concerns but if you want the maximum performance for getting out of trouble, you should score another set of wheels and run a summer tire.
I run my winter tires (wintermaster) year round since I bought my motorcycle in '08. During the warm months, I basicly use my bug only when something doesn't fit in my backpack.
I fully understand the drunk driver concern. All alone on the highway with a drunk swirving all over and hangs with you whether you're going 35 or 65. I have used my higher speed governor to get away. This was on my stock tires though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts