VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi:
Am hoping to get some answers on here. Everyone is so knowledgeable about the Beetles!

I have only had mine 3 weeks and yesterday when I was driving home I noticed in my rear mirror that my back window looked odd down at the bottom.

When I got home I looked and the headliner is detaching from the back window. It looks like there are some type of clips or something that hold it on and these snap in but when I go to put the top down they detach once again! Has anyone else had this problem.

My husband called a VW dealer this morning and they said there is no such thing as clips for this and I would need a whole new top! To the tune of $3,000.00 +!

I bought this from a used car dealer and I'm not sure he's going to cover this for me but I am going up to see him on Friday. In the meantime any information I could get before going would be very helpful.

Thanks and I hope I haven't made a big mistake in buying this car! I really love it!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Yes, there are clips for it. It's a known issue with convertibles, mine did the very same. I had mine fixed last week not exactly sure how much it cost me cause they give me a break and had other work done too.. but it was under $70. All the clips (parts) was 8 bucks.

Now when I put my top up and down it stays put.

There is a good thread on this, scroll down to #18 to see the VW Tech Bulletin

http://newbeetle.org/forums/new-beetle-convertible/37311-headliner-loose-back-window.html

Hi:
Am hoping to get some answers on here. Everyone is so knowledgeable about the Beetles!

I have only had mine 3 weeks and yesterday when I was driving home I noticed in my rear mirror that my back window looked odd down at the bottom.

When I got home I looked and the headliner is detaching from the back window. It looks like there are some type of clips or something that hold it on and these snap in but when I go to put the top down they detach once again! Has anyone else had this problem.

My husband called a VW dealer this morning and they said there is no such thing as clips for this and I would need a whole new top! To the tune of $3,000.00 +!

I bought this from a used car dealer and I'm not sure he's going to cover this for me but I am going up to see him on Friday. In the meantime any information I could get before going would be very helpful.

Thanks and I hope I haven't made a big mistake in buying this car! I really love it!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Thanks so much for the info. I will be sure to mention it tomorrow when I head to the car dealership. I can't believe the VW dealers say there aren't clips when there are! Maybe it's just not worth their time since it's not something over $1,000.00 to fix!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Thanks so much for the info. I will be sure to mention it tomorrow when I head to the car dealership. I can't believe the VW dealers say there aren't clips when there are! Maybe it's just not worth their time since it's not something over $1,000.00 to fix!
I would make a scene about it and talk to the manager not only about what an incompetent service employee work there, but didn't take the time to even look up the known problem in their Technical Bulletin database for # 61-08-03 that CLEALY explains not only how to fix it but even what part # are needed.

Maybe you can print out the screen print that was posted.

Heck, you can have them learn a thing or two about customer service by the folks below:

Metro Volkswagen
2035 West Airport Freeway
Irving, TX 75062-6087
(972) 659-9999

Have them ask for Peter Smith.

Best of Luck!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
To hell with the clips, you will constantly be replacing them. Put a small bead of clear silcone on the receiving track around the window, wait for it to "skin" about 5 mins, snap your headliner into the track, wait 24hrs before dropping the top...never worry about it again! Replaced my clips 2-3 times...frustration...did this 2 years ago and no worries! :D

·
Registered
320 Posts
To hell with the clips, you will constantly be replacing them. Put a small bead of clear silcone on the receiving track around the window, wait for it to "skin" about 5 mins, snap your headliner into the track, wait 24hrs before dropping the top...never worry about it again! Replaced my clips 2-3 times...frustration...did this 2 years ago and no worries! :D
Good idea!

·
TOD 2011 Maiden Voyager!!
87 Posts
Good luck to you at the dealers on Friday. I have had a 2004 GLS a 2007 and now my 2010 all convertibles. I never had a problem with any of them and I am super particular. I don't think you made a mistake buying your beetle. Good vibes out to you:guitar:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts