NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there, this is my first post on here. Please be patient with me, as my knowledge of cars is limited, but I am learning. I've had my 2007 2.5 engine VW beetle for about 3 years now, but as of late my brights seem to fail. Most posts online seem to be about the dims failing, and I could find absolutely nothing about just the high beams failing on a Beetle.

Occasionally I will attempt to turn my high beams on, and they simply won't turn on, on both sides. The dash light indicating my brights are activated still turns on, however.
I have also found that later that same night, they may all of a sudden, work, after another attempt of turning them on. Almost like my car needs to warm up first before they want to work. This has been frustrating as I live in an area with a lot of deer and dark country roads.

Then, I noticed they worked fine for a few weeks, and then the same thing started happening.

The fuses look fine, obviously, as it wasn't a sudden absolute failure. My dims are working fine. Someone mentioned the "headlight switch" to the left of the dash could be switched out, but in my 2007 beetle, it appears to only control the dash lights, not the headlights.

The only thing I can think of would maybe be a relay (if there is one?) Or the whole arm switch itself that controls the brights. Could anyone help me out?

Thanks

·
Registered
13,410 Posts
Recently, i worked on a 05 new beetle convertible with a similar problem; i checked all the wiring and bulbs, which were fine but not getting power. Then i checked the turn signal lever; which also controls the power through, the high/low beam switch in the steering column. After wiggling and activating the switch; it would intermittently work, the high beams activating for just a moment and then, not work. I sprayed some electrical contact cleaner into the switch; at the end of the signal lever. This cleaned the internal switch contacts and worked the switch (back/forth), as i sprayed the cleaner into the switch area. After doing this, the high beams started working again; while, still being a bit flakey. The more i cleaned it, the better it worked but wasn't perfect, a little wiggling seemed to help, get the high beams on again. This attempted repair, was for a friend and they didn't want to replace the lever assembly. While it was working again; replacement, would probably be a permanent and solid fix, replacement requires steering wheel, airbag removal, new part, etc. The contact cleaner is a cheap and easy to try, worth a shot.

So, based upon my experience; i would say, the switch contacts get dirty and the lever assembly wears out, causing the high beams to not get power, to the bulbs. You might go ahead and check for power at the high beam bulb sockets with a multimeter or circuit tester and then try cleaning the switch in the steering column with spray contact cleaner.

This is the contact cleaner i use with excellent results; the included plastic red extension included, helps to get into the switch in the recesses of the steering column.

CRC QD Electronic Cleaner 11oz Part # 05703

This cleaner is a available at most auto parts stores, hardware or home-improvement stores, etc. I have found the best price at Walmart in the automotive supply area. Try the testing for power at the high beam socket and also, cleaning the high beam switch. Report back and we can go from there. Thanks

·
Registered
772 Posts
My daughter was having problems on her car with high beams, she would flick them on and the headlights would go out. I swapped out the high beam/turn signal stalk and that solved her issue. There have been some changes made between her model year (03) and yours, but that’s where I would start. Try the electrical cleaner as billymade suggests first, I had an extra stalk and I was pretty sure it was the problem so I didn’t try the cleaner first.

·
Registered
772 Posts
It was oem off another vw. I have accumulated quite a number of spare parts over the years. If I know something is bad I toss it, but often people change out good parts in the hopes of solving a problem and when the problem remains they don’t want to remove the new part and put the old back on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, based upon my experience; i would say, the switch contacts get dirty and the lever assembly wears out, causing the high beams to not get power, to the bulbs. You might go ahead and check for power at the highbeam bulb sockets with a multimeter or circuit tester and then try cleaning the switch in the steering column with spray contact cleaner.
Sounds like my suspicions were correct! I have some of the contact cleaner from a prior repair (it's a lifesaver, honestly), and if that improves anything, I'll order a replacement of the lever switch. I'll report back after I get a chance to take a look. Thanks so much to both of you.

·
Registered
13,410 Posts
I'm seeing, URO, which I wouldn't ever buy (cheapest junk parts available); then Febi and Meyle around $30-$50, brands made in China. Then, genuine VW for about $130; I haven't figured out, who the oem is, so far. I had issues with my cruise control rocker switch being flakey; then, I used the CRC QD contact cleaner and that helped, figured I would replace it eventually if I needed to.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts